Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about re-roofing: how stressful / disruptive?

(6 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Thu 31-Mar-16 20:54:50

Survey on a house we are hoping to buy indicates the roof is on the way out. Looks like it may need a complete overhaul plus work on chimney and damp timber (some not all). My big question is how disruptive / stressful / noisy / endless this work is likely to be? First time buyer so no idea.

Nancery Thu 31-Mar-16 22:42:48

We had ours done recently.
Its quite dusty, especially on the top floors, but, in comparison to a lot of jobs (we renovated our current house, so I talk from experience!) it's not too bad. Not really noisy or endless, but I suppose that might also depend on the state of the roof! We had stuff fall down the chimney into the bedroom which was a pain, but other than that it wasn't too bad

MiaowTheCat Fri 01-Apr-16 07:26:58

Honestly - it's not that bad since they're working on the outside the house... bit bangy and scrabbly up above but nothing intolerable.

Biggest irritation for us was that the scaffolding blocked the signal for our Sky dish for the time the work was going on so we had to cope with iplayer over the net for a week or so.

I had a very young baby at the time as well and survived. I had to ask the scaffolders to be careful where they put their posts so I could still fit the pushchair down the side of the house but, again, it wasn't really a big issue.

ThePartyArtist Fri 01-Apr-16 09:28:25

Thanks all, that is very reassuring.
Would also be interested to know how long the work goes on for? Ours is a 3 bed terrace.

PolterGoose Fri 01-Apr-16 09:33:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nancery Fri 01-Apr-16 15:23:29

I think ours was just over a week too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now