Talk

Advanced search

Would an estate agent pass this message on?

(18 Posts)
PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 20:18:12

A house is available to let right where we are interested in buying. We would like to know whether the landlord would be interested in selling it to us (if we could afford it of course) - would the estate agent bother to pass on our query? What would be in it for them? Nothing I presume. I can imagine them just never ringing us back.

wowfudge Wed 30-Mar-16 20:25:03

Do a land registry search and find the owner's name and address. If the address is different from the property then bingo - write to them or call round to what is probably their home address. If it's the same as the property, write to them there, mark it P&C and hope they have some mail forwarding set up or call in periodically.

If you approach the agent they'll want a fee for a sale and they might not even bother to pass a message on if they think they can make more money letting and managing the place.

Sprig1 Wed 30-Mar-16 20:41:02

From my experience it is not likely. Try and find out who the owner is and where they live.

PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 20:46:39

I was thinking about just doing a bit of door knocking on the way home to see if anyone knows the owner. It is a village so it is possible. If not, I could do the Land Registry thing. Bit worried that we couldn't afford it anyway but it is so nice. The ideal situation would be if they could leave a £100k stake in the house as an investment and we could have the rest grin

PontypandyPioneer Wed 30-Mar-16 20:48:54

This happened to my mum! She asked the estate agent, they did pass the message on, the owner allowed the agent to value the property and allow my mum to view it - they knew she was not interested in renting, just buying.

My mum didn't buy it and it was eventually rented out again.

So I would ask, you never know!

PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 20:51:09

That's encouraging Ponty! Why didn't she buy it? It will rent very quickly where it is so I am conscious that I would need to track down the owner pretty sharpish.

OliviaBenson Wed 30-Mar-16 20:57:32

If you need to track down the owner quickly, just do a land registry search rather than door knocking.

If it's currently up for rent again, I imagine the owner might not be interested in selling.

PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 20:59:31

It is definitely a long shot as the owner will be well aware of how quickly it could sell.

Bearbehind Wed 30-Mar-16 21:14:26

The ideal situation would be if they could leave a £100k stake in the house as an investment and we could have the rest

Are you for real? hmm

If you're serious the save yourself the cost of the land registry search as that option is a complete nonstarter.

You can't co-own a property with a completely random person.

PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 21:19:13

Bear, I think you missed my grin.

Bearbehind Wed 30-Mar-16 21:21:41

I did see that but it is such a crazy idea I couldn't believe anyone would bother to type the words!

PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 21:27:57

It was meant to be a joke. Although I actually don't think it is that crazy, although you can relax as I wasn't actually going to suggest to this owner, it just sounds like a private version of a shared equity scheme to me. Much crazier things have been suggested on Mumsnet.

wowfudge Wed 30-Mar-16 22:19:02

£3 for an instant download of the title register from the Land Registry. That letter could be with the owner by the end of the week....

PippaFawcett Wed 30-Mar-16 23:22:00

Done. I have the names of the owners and they are listed at the address of the property but I have found an email address online of one of the owners. However it was only purchased six months ago - for the very top end of our budget - so I imagine they have bought it as an investment property. Would an email be too scary? I imagine a postal letter would feel less intrusive for this kind of approach.

wowfudge Thu 31-Mar-16 06:36:38

Send both? What's the worst thing that can happen? Either they don't respond at all or they say they aren't interested in selling. If they can't find tenants then they may change their minds about it as an investment.

Bearbehind Thu 31-Mar-16 06:36:59

If the owners are listed at the property address that would suggest they don't have a BTL mortgage (is there a lender shown as having an interest in the land registry) and/ or did live there.

An email is a bit stalkerish IMO. I would just ask the agent if the owner might consider selling and ask them to call you back when they've spoken to them.

If you hear nothing then try the letter.

PippaFawcett Thu 31-Mar-16 08:57:19

The is no lender on the title thingy which I think means they bought it cash which could suggest an investment property as it is currently empty. They will definitely be able to rent it out so that won't be a factor and the rental price is significantly lower than what a comparable mortgage would be so again, that looks like an investment property. I am going to send both, I don't see the point of going through the agent - that just means there would be another set of fees to pay if this was successful.

PippaFawcett Thu 31-Mar-16 11:43:12

Update: The answer was no but a very nice no and I haven't been the first person to approach them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now