Talk

Advanced search

Please help me compare these decorator quotes!

(9 Posts)
Dioskouri Wed 30-Mar-16 11:20:40

I have quotes from two decorators to decorate three rooms (one large room with ensuite bathroom and a lot of woodwork, one medium sized room and one small room). Quotes are to paint walls, ceilings, doors, skirting, etc.

Decorator #1 has quoted £1400 excluding materials.

Decorator #2 has quoted £2900 including materials.

Paint-wise I am thinking Farrow & Ball or Little Greene for the walls. I am not sure about the woodwork/ceilings; Decorator #2 has said Dulux for these but there is probably some wriggle room if I insisted on another brand.

What do you think? I have no idea what materials should cost, and whether these quotes are reasonable.

wowfudge Wed 30-Mar-16 13:04:33

Can you ask both to quote with and without materials? Then you should have directly comparable quotes. Get a third quote as well.

escape Wed 30-Mar-16 15:08:22

Are you in the South?
If so - consider getting a trade in from oop North - the best Decorator around here charges 200 a day inclusive , and would be taking no more than 4 days to do that work.
Obviously inclusive wouldn't mean F&B paint etc, although I'm assured he uses the ' same' if required smile

Dioskouri Wed 30-Mar-16 15:14:17

Yes I am in London - is that really possible escape? I had assumed that no one would want to travel, and had resigned myself to exorbitant London prices... hmm

willfuckformichilenstarfood Wed 30-Mar-16 15:17:31

My partner is a decorater, he charges £120 a day labour and then obviously materials on top.
5 litres of dulux trade which would be enough for 1 large room costs £50 and satinwood/gloss £20 and same for undercoat. Obviously if you choose F&B those prices will ticket.

We are 40 miles from London. S/E England X

Maverick66 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:32:26

What willfuck says.

DH decorator 30 years experience tho not anywhere near London and charges £12 per hour .
It would take two men 4 days to do work taking into consideration any prep or sanding work to be done.

AesopsMables Wed 30-Mar-16 15:38:29

Both those quotes seem high OP.

We are based 30miles west of London and got a great company off MyBuilder.com who are based in Uxbridge they have done whole downstairs and two bedrooms with hall stairs and Landing for walls/woodwork and ceilings. This came in at just under £1500 without materials. He bought materials and gave me receipts. I bought my own F&B paint on top of that.
Two men and took 7 working days.

Dioskouri Wed 30-Mar-16 18:53:18

Thanks everyone.

poppet131 Wed 30-Mar-16 20:53:06

OP - that seems pretty high! We're in London too and it was around £150 per day for our carpenter/decorator. Did all woodwork and doors in the house (7 rooms) in 5 days so it was £750 excl materials. I think that your job shouldn't take longer than 5 days including the painting. Definitely shop around and look at checkatrade and howdens for materials

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now