Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this brick?

(9 Posts)
Wineisfinebyme Mon 28-Mar-16 15:17:22

Please, don't let it be damp!

Came outside this morning and it was discoloured. Still this colour now...thought it might have dried out a bit

Anyway, can anyone help?

JT05 Mon 28-Mar-16 16:41:33

Looks like water is getting to it. Is it under a sill? Water could be trickling down between window and sill. Maybe the sealant has gone. It doesn't look like it's got any mortar between the bricks.

Wineisfinebyme Mon 28-Mar-16 17:00:25

Thank you! Have checked again, there is a small crack of the sill which must be letting water in. Have filled it with external sealant.

Owning a house is fun isn't it?

It's already looking better than it did this morning, so hopefully this will sort it.

There is mortar in there, but it definitely needs repointing. Job for DP next weekend!

Thanks again flowers tbusmile

JT05 Mon 28-Mar-16 18:01:50

Glad to have helped, I hope! It has been very wet lately and the excess rain can cause problems that you would not normally get, or notice. It's always best to act quickly with water damage because leaving it causes greater problems in the long run. You are right , there's always something to do when owning a home!

PigletJohn Mon 28-Mar-16 19:06:57

looks like it

stand back and show us what is around and above it.

Wineisfinebyme Mon 28-Mar-16 22:39:13

Saw this too late piglet john

According to forecast it's due to rain again tomorrow afternoon/evening so I will check again.

I have sealed up the crack and underneath sill. Hopefully that will make a difference. Delighted the external sealant I bought a couple of months ago is getting a try out.

I have real house anxiety, so appreciate you all helping

Wineisfinebyme Wed 30-Mar-16 08:32:50

Hi both

Took some more photos this morning - the grey is the external filler I've used

JT05 Wed 30-Mar-16 08:48:30

Did you scrape away more of the crack before filling it?

If you didn't, you need to. I know it is counterintuitive, but you have to widen the crack first to ensure a ' good' fill. You can also then see the extent of the crack, it might be longer than you think.

The brick will take a while to dry out completely, especially if the atmosphere around it is damp. Give it a few dry days and see if things improve. It won't be doing any lasting damage. If it doesn't dry then try to get someone with good DIY experience to look at it.

Wineisfinebyme Wed 30-Mar-16 09:34:34

Ok - great advice again! I did scrape it out but have sent your advice to DP, and he is going to keep an eye on it and act on it if necessary.

Think he's tempted to scrape out again and do bigger refill this weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now