Talk

Advanced search

Apollo Magna?

(12 Posts)
NakedMum33and3rd Sun 27-Mar-16 18:21:07

Has anyone got an Apollo Magna worktop? I've been contemplating oak but after seeing all the posts about its upkeep I'm looking at this as I can't afford granite or corian.
Would love to hear some actual feedback!

Thanks

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sun 27-Mar-16 18:36:39

I have no experience with Apollo Magna so I can't advise on that but FWIW we do have granite and I hate it. Its cold, always dirty, chipped along the edges and unpleasant to work on. For some reason I tend to lean on the work surface and this has caused me to put holes in most of my t-shirts at tummy level blush.
I will go for wood next time and suck up the extra maintenance.

NakedMum33and3rd Sun 27-Mar-16 19:21:40

Oh really. That is interesting. Some people seem to really love wood and others hate it. I absolutely love it but am worried I would ruin it and Live in constant paranoia about keeping it in good condition.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sun 27-Mar-16 19:26:11

The way I see it with wood is that yes it will mark and stain but actually if you want to clean it up smart again it's a lot easier that trying to sort out the chips and heat marks on granit and it will just look old and weathered and worn in - a look I rather like anyway grin

JellyBellyKelly Sun 27-Mar-16 22:56:25

Yes I have Apollo manga. (Recently fitted in fairness).

Love it. I don't think it's high maintenance we all, although it scratches easier than I thought. Easily polished out though.

Would have again.

TremoloGreen Mon 28-Mar-16 11:40:09

I would have it in a heartbeat. We have wood, put in by the previous owners and we couldn't justify replacing it. It is just so impractical it verges on ridiculous. I'm planning to sand and oil it soon and hope that makes it more hardwearing for a while.

Fridayschild5 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:47:51

We've just had apollo magna installed and never again. It is a nightmare. Scratches easily, stains easily and was a nightmare for kitchen fitter to install. I regret it so much but we are stuck with it. I would pick laminate over it any day.

lljkk Tue 07-Jun-16 20:50:58

(This being MN I thought "Apollo Magna" was a thread title in Baby names.)
As you were.

Owlcat Tue 07-Jun-16 21:28:17

We have wood, we hated it when we first moved in as everything that we did seemed to mark it. However, we lightly sanded off the old sticky oil put on by the previous owner and coated with a few coats of Osmo oil and we now never think about it, nothing seems to mark it and water just beads rather than soaking in.

Kstar8 Tue 07-Jun-16 21:37:26

I'm looking to install Apollo Slab Tech in our kitchen - what's the difference between this and Magna?

Fridayschild5 Tue 07-Jun-16 22:05:57

I think slab tech is more expensive and solid whereas magna has a layer on solid surface on chipboard. Price will be different - the blurb is below. Believe it at your peril! We were told we would need to sign a disclaimer against any damage but it was never actually presented to us so wonder where that leaves us.....

Apollo Slab Tech is a solid 20 or 30mm thick solid surface worktop. Apollo Slab Tech offers the warm and seamless look of standard solid surface with certain colours also having the added benefit of the appearance of natural stone. Apollo Slab Tech is easy to install and is available in modular blanks, or as bespoke installation. Seamless, inconspicuous joints and a resistance to mould, bacteria and mildew, are amongst its much sought after attributes.

Apollo Magna solid surface worktops are stain, water and impact resistant and offer seamless joints with the added benefit that any offending marks and scratches can be simply ‘polished out’. There are 10 colours to choose from and Apollo Magna will give you a worksurface that looks and feels like a 13mm solid surface material, but without the cost. All Apollo Magna work surfaces come with a 10 year warranty, are completely hygienic and easy to maintain.

Kstar8 Wed 08-Jun-16 18:56:56

Thanks Friday. Sorry to hear you aren't happy with your worktop! I looked at lots of laminates but cannot find a decent light laminate, they all look really cheap in light lee colours. I think the darker or wood laminates look fine but we needed a light surface.
What a faff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now