Advanced search

In-built oven - fixture? or can the seller take it

(21 Posts)
BumbleNova Thu 24-Mar-16 17:07:46

If you were buying a house with this kitchen and it had an oven built it as per the picture, would you expect it to stay?

my sellers have ticked both the "none" and the "excluded" box for it, so they must be planning on taking it? do it push back?

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 24-Mar-16 17:11:46

What do you mean by "do it push back" ?

Have a look at the Estate Agent's description of the property. If the oven is mentioned in the Kitchen details, then you would expect it to be included in the priced agreed for the house sale. If the sellers don't want to leave it then you can ask for a reduction in price.

Either way, your solicitor needs to clarify which box the sellers meant to tick on the form.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Thu 24-Mar-16 17:13:13

That looks free standing to me.

Zebrasinpyjamas Thu 24-Mar-16 17:14:04

Is it really built in? Hard to tell from the picture. Imo wider range ovens do often go with the seller. You can always offer to buy it if you feel strongly.

If you expected it to be included you can ask for it to stay but I doubt it's worth losing the whole deal over (seen friends do this).

Imnotaslimjim Thu 24-Mar-16 17:14:22

That oven isn't built in, just well fitted. Mine fits the same, and being a range type I'd be expecting them to take it with them unless they have told you otherwise

firesidechat Thu 24-Mar-16 17:15:30

Like the others said, it's not built and they can take it if they wish.

BumbleNova Thu 24-Mar-16 17:15:31

they used an online EA - no description of the property. I meant that - is there is an argument that it is a fixture as opposed to a fitting and it should therefore be left.

If they are taking it, I supposed I need confirmation that they will make good any damage?

BombadierFritz Thu 24-Mar-16 17:15:33

I can see it being removable. It doesnt look inbuilt? So i guess if they have said it is excluded, yes, they are taking it. Your problem is its going to leave a big gap that will be a pain to fill so definitely worth pushing for a reduction in price imo

firesidechat Thu 24-Mar-16 17:15:41

built in

BumbleNova Thu 24-Mar-16 17:16:52

ok - good to know! thanks all. I had (wrongly) thought that would be built in. I dont really care either way, its not a deal breaker.

BombadierFritz Thu 24-Mar-16 17:16:55

What damage do you envisage?

BumbleNova Thu 24-Mar-16 17:18:13

its a narrow kitchen. getting it out might be hard. also its gas, so i'd need confirmation its been capped off safely/correctly.

TheLesserSpottedBee Thu 24-Mar-16 17:19:38

It is a free standing one just well fitted. They will merely pull it out, no damage to any cabinet.

My oven is built in, the hob is separate.

Marmitelover55 Thu 24-Mar-16 17:20:29

It doesn't look built-in to me but similar to my range cooker. If that's the case there shouldn't be any damage and you should be able to slit in another range cooker. The typical sizes are 900mm, 1000mm and 1100mm.

Madbengalmum Thu 24-Mar-16 17:20:30

Doesnt look built in to me.

TheLesserSpottedBee Thu 24-Mar-16 17:21:59

I would stipulate those in official docs from your solicitor. That you wish to see Gas Safe certificate for capping the gas and any damage to cabinets to be repaired to high standard or you are compensated.

I hadn't realised the kitchen was narrow. Maybe they haven't realised how difficult it would be to remove it in the space given. Ask?

LIZS Thu 24-Mar-16 17:24:45

Looks like a freestanding range to me , so no it would be optional. Did the particulars mention it?

BumbleNova Thu 24-Mar-16 17:29:23

no particulars LIZS. I think its going to be really hard to remove. Gah, that was the only thing we had thought would stay. its only annoying since we hadnt planned to do anything to the kitchen just yet and when we do I'd love one of the snazzy neff double ovens rather than a range. maybe ill try and get something second hand.

thanks all.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 24-Mar-16 17:36:22

I know its a badly taken picture but the galley way of the kitchen looks wider than the kitchen so I really can't see the problem. I do understand you probably haven't factored in having to replace it which is unfortunate but they are well within their rights to take it. I would ask for Gas Safe confirmation that its properly capped though. And keep in mind if you replace it with a gas cooker its about £120 to have it fitted, you can't do it yourself

Imnotaslimjim Thu 24-Mar-16 17:36:46

Sorry, should say wider than the depth of the cooker, not kitchen!

VulcanWoman Thu 24-Mar-16 17:44:36

Looks like a slot in oven which would be taken out.
Light fittings can be taken too, which some people are surprised with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now