Advanced search

Should I be worried about this crack?

(9 Posts)
BasinHaircut Thu 24-Mar-16 09:19:43

This is by the front door.

We are mid point through re-rendering (old stuff come off, new stuff not on yet).

We have done some structural work. Found back of house was not sufficiently supported when we moved in and had a new steel beam put in across 2/3rds of the back at the end of last year.

We have also done complete redecoration upstairs.

Appeared recently as hallway was only painted early Jan and wasn't there then. Only just noticed it today.

The front door would have originally been set back a bit from this and has (many years ago) been built out to be in line with the rest of the house (if that makes sense) s this crack is along joins between to separate bits of brickwork (I think).

Logically I'm thinking that the house has just settled slightly after building works, but they were at the back of the house and this is at the front?

Does this look bad?

BasinHaircut Thu 24-Mar-16 09:20:02


NattyGolfJerkin Thu 24-Mar-16 09:29:44

I would say not.

They say that anything too small to get your hand into isn't structural (and so not a worry), so I would agree that yours is a superficial settlement job.

NattyGolfJerkin Thu 24-Mar-16 09:30:37

I assume there isn't a matching crack on the outside of the building?!

BasinHaircut Thu 24-Mar-16 09:35:35

I can't see one but it's difficult to tell because of bits of old render still there.

What would it mean if there was?

NattyGolfJerkin Thu 24-Mar-16 11:29:41

Well, I'm not a surveyor or an industry person but if the crack is in the inside AND the outside then it could indicate that it goes full thickness through the wall and could be a structural thing. However, I wouldn't panic. It looks very superficial and hairline to me. I have similar cracks in my house and have had builders in and out for the past 2 yrs (ongoing) and none have been concerned by them.

Get someone in to have a look at them and out your mind at rest.

NattyGolfJerkin Thu 24-Mar-16 11:29:54


JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Thu 24-Mar-16 11:40:14

At a guess, those are plaster cracks along different materials - eg the vertical one on inside of frame looks to be the right distance to be edge of beading (metal mesh to ensure sharp corner finish), horizontal one looks to be under lintel - but it is very difficult to know from the photo and without seeing the actual wall, plus I am not an expert. I do live in a Victorian house though so am used to seeing cracks!!

Tap the plaster with your knuckles, does it sound hollow there and solid elsewhere? It may well have blown around that corner. We had similar cracks 3 months after next door (terrace) did major building works. You could fill and paint but if the plaster's blown, the cracks will just reappear; you'd be better off doing a replastering of the blown area.

However, if the crack widens or it's on the outside as well, you may need to get a surveyor out...

Notyetthere Thu 24-Mar-16 15:04:13

Looks like plaster cracks. I have a few. Not time to worry yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now