Talk

Advanced search

collapsed drain

(6 Posts)
willhazboz Mon 21-Mar-16 21:44:52

The manhole in our garden had started to overflow so we called the water board and they came out and we had a blockage (now cleared) in part caused by a collapsed drain. So the long and short of it is there is loads of shit and god knows what else pumping into our garden! The area he said it was is close to our shed. Apparently around a metre underground. My husband seems to think he can dig it up and repair it himself- he is not a builder! Does this seem feasible? I am so worried about him messing it up. And he just won't listen to me. I'm also worried about the proximity to the shed and the potential danger of all the sewerage.
He says we don't have the money for a professional which is and isn't true. We technically do but will mean things are very tight.
I hold my hands up I know nothing about sewerage etc but I just wondered if anyone had done this themselves or attempted???

wowfudge Mon 21-Mar-16 21:56:06

First of all establish whether you own and are responsible for the pipe in question or whether the water company in your area is. If it is your responsibility, does your insurance cover you for it at all?

willhazboz Mon 21-Mar-16 22:14:20

The water company said we are responsible as it is in our boundary and only serves us. I'm not sure on insurance but I will check tomorrow. I'm not sure if it will be worth claiming on it if it's only a few hundred? The only other thing is I read online that if the house and sewerage were built before 1937 then it's not classed as a private drainage. Water board are meant to be phoning me back re this as our house was built in 1907 but I am unsure whether the sewerage has been updated since 1937. Probably will have and it was a long shot anyway.

willhazboz Tue 22-Mar-16 13:17:52

Home insurance seems like it covers it and are coming out assess the damage today. Thank you for your reply! Xx

willhazboz Tue 22-Mar-16 13:27:04

Home insurance seems like it covers it and are coming out assess the damage today. Thank you for your reply!

wowfudge Tue 22-Mar-16 14:05:05

Result! That's what you pay for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now