Talk

Advanced search

Cost to install a bath

(19 Posts)
SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 08:47:09

We have a large bathroom but previous owners had taken out the bath and put in a shower. I thought it wouldn't bother me but it does! Does anyone know the costs to put one in? If we kept the sink and shower where they are (presumably the cheapest option?) we would need to turn the toilet so it didn't face the end of the bath and have a bath along the wall. Also the radiator would need moving a little to the side. This would only work by having the door opening outwards- The original door was moved to make room for the shower.
I guess the tiling would need re-doing and new flooring put in.
I've googled this but can't seem to find any info, most people seem to be installing showers not baths!
Thanks in advance!

Melawen Sun 20-Mar-16 12:03:11

Ooh watching with interest as I've seen a few houses I like but they have showers instead of baths and it does put me off unless putting a bath back in doesn't cost too much!

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 13:39:16

We loved the house so would have bought it either way, but I do miss my baths!my children 'bath' in a paddling pool in the bottom of the shower! I'm hoping it won't be too much as the pipe work is all there. I think the re tiling will bump it up, shame as it is only a couple of years old!

IncognitoBurrito Sun 20-Mar-16 14:02:19

Also watching with interest. About to complete on a house with exactly that - previous owner installed shower where the bath used to be. Why would you do that?! I suspect the children will be bathing in a paddling pool for a while too while we decide what needs tackling first in the house. Also the bathroom is tiny so might have to have a short bath.

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 15:09:50

My youngest has never known a proper bath so knows no different! My tip is don't bother with the proper blow up baby baths for the bottom of showers. We had one-was expensive and too small. We bought w cheap (£4) 3ring paddling pool and it fills all the bottom of the shower. I fit both dc in it at the same time! Does the job and is big enough for them to have a play. Bit of a pain to empty though unless you deflate it.

lalalonglegs Sun 20-Mar-16 15:18:03

In terms of plumbing, if it is as straightforward as it sounds (ie the pipework is easily accessible, it's not a concrete floor that will need chasing out etc), that's about 3 days work so it depends what local rates are. Beyond that, how much you want to spend on a tub/taps and how much retiling is required will dictate what you spend.

PigletJohn Sun 20-Mar-16 15:18:43

How is your hot water heated?

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 16:09:57

Through the boiler I think?there's no hot water tank and there's a water temp dial on the boiler. I would be happy with a basic white bath to keep costs down. It's currently tiled half way up but is a relatively large bathroom so it would all need redoing. We are in a cheap part of the county though .
Thanks for the input!

PigletJohn Sun 20-Mar-16 16:20:49

so you probably have a combi boiler. Combis can be quite slow to fill a bath. A bath can hold about 100 litres of water, less if you are portly like me as you take up more of the space.

Fill a bucket at a hot tap, time it to full, calculate how many litres per minute you get, feel if it is at least as hot as you need for a bath.

The cost of a bathtub can be quite low, though thicker ones cost more. Measure the space carefully. The quality of the bath taps makes more difference to the impression. Don't get a pop-up waste as it will. leak.

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 16:32:15

Thanks Pigletjohn I will do that! Unfortunately not portly so would need a decent amount of hot water! I'm going to dip a toe in the water, be brave and get some quotes. Now to find a plumber...
melawen and incognito I will update with my quotes!

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 16:34:19

I realise this may be a very daft question- would the floor need reinforcing to hold a bath? blush

PigletJohn Sun 20-Mar-16 16:48:52

100 litres of water weighs 100kg (about 14 stone)

Add yourself, and you are talking of about the weight of two people standing on the floor, which is quite normal.

Especially if it is chipboard (which is rubbish and crumbles away when damp) then you need bearers under the feet, such as pieces of wood placed so that they span at least two of the joists to spread the weight. Preferably the bath should be near the wall that the joists go into, not in the middle of the room.

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 18:50:02

Thank you for you so much for your advice piglet John. It is chipboard which needs replacing. You have saved a laugh at my expense when I asked the plumber that! I've always had a bit of a fear of a full bath falling through the ceiling!

PigletJohn Sun 20-Mar-16 19:27:48

I would be happier to see 18mm WBP ply replacing the chipboard, it is stronger and water resistant. Screw it down so that in the event of a leak it can easily be lifted.

Chipboard is an awful material, fit only for the bonfire.

SoakedinBleach Sun 20-Mar-16 20:38:59

Thanks for that , I will bring that up when I get the quotes. I really appreciate your advice!

lalamumto3 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:12:25

Where are you in the country? as perhaps we can give you some idea of day rates

SoakedinBleach Mon 21-Mar-16 12:41:55

I'm in north Cambridgeshire

SoakedinBleach Mon 21-Mar-16 12:42:17

Thanks smile

lalamumto3 Mon 21-Mar-16 12:59:33

Hi I am in London and have been getting quotes to replace a bathroom.

I have been quoted day rates of between £300 and £500 per day. For a complete bathroom refit I have been quoted 10 days, to replace a bath 2 days.

Hopefully it will be less where you are

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now