loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommend kitchen cabinet paint

(11 Posts)
Alasalas2 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:48:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RaisingSteam Sat 19-Mar-16 23:50:06

I think you need a special melamine paint B&Q might have it?

Alasalas2 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:32:57

leoniethelioness Sun 20-Mar-16 08:51:09

They seem to take them to car body shops to be sprayed on the TV and the results look great.

Alasalas2 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:57:08

carolinemoon Sun 20-Mar-16 19:51:13

We're in the process of doing ours with Annie Sloan chalk paint - all going well so far.

TattyCat Mon 21-Mar-16 14:54:05

Car places will do them for you but it's fairly expensive. Autentico is my favourite for this, as long as you get 'eggshell' rather than the flat matt chalk paint. There's still no prep required.

I used a roller on my doors for a smooth finish - the brush just didn't cut it for me. I'm really happy with mine - they're washable and so far, no chips or anything.

I find Annie Sloan too patchy and more suited to shabby chic (although that may be what you're looking for). Waxing is no good on kitchen doors - water marks it and the varnish you can buy to go over the top just makes it look patchy and horrible.

Alasalas2 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:44

TattyCat Tue 22-Mar-16 19:21:33

Eeeek - I hope it works out for you now grin ! Let us know - I've only used it the once blush but I can say I'm over the moon with the results and I am quite picky, so...!

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 23-Mar-16 10:56:32

Daughter used special melamine cupboard paint, available at any DIY, for some horrible old brown melamine cupboards in their new (old) house. Transformation was amazing, and has made the kitchen so much nicer until they do their extension, which will be quite a while. They used an off-white/cream over the brown, and it covered very well.
I used similar melamine-covering paint on a whole wall of rather nasty but still sound white melamine wardrobes. Did sand them lightly first, to make it stick better. Also changed handles and they looked so much better - total cost about £65 compared with about £3500 we had been quoted for new wardrobes.
Whole job did take me several days, though.

KanyeWesticle Wed 23-Mar-16 11:18:23

Do update when it's done - I'm thinking of doing the same to update our awful cupboards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now