Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done a garage conversion recently?

(16 Posts)
duende Sat 19-Mar-16 22:39:07

We are buying a house and hoping to move in May. It has a single attached garage which we would like to convert into a bedroom/ study with a little shower room.

I'd like to get a rough idea of the cost but builders are not interested in talking to me yet as I don't have the keys...

Has anyone done a similar conversion recently and could give me an idea of how much it was? We are in Bedfordshire, if it's relevant.

29PaddingtonSt Sun 20-Mar-16 05:46:09

We had a rough quote of between £8-10k to convert our into a utility room with storage. However we couldn't get planning permission so didn't go ahead.

ihatethecold Sun 20-Mar-16 07:21:51

We had a quote for a garage conversion. We were going to split it into 2 rooms as it's quite long.
Ours quoted 15K and we are in the next county to you.

Trying to find a builder to quote was really difficult

ihatethecold Sun 20-Mar-16 07:23:03

We wouldn't have needed PP to do ours. I had a very helpful chat over the phone with the local planning office.

Truckingalong Sun 20-Mar-16 07:27:33

We're about to. Single garage into bedroom and shower room. £18k.

Sunnyshores Sun 20-Mar-16 17:05:51

Had a few builders quotes £15-20k, then found a few companies that only do garage conversions. Thought theyd be better as they must know exactly what materils are needed, how much time it takes etc. Only had one quote (others too busy), £12-£15k but this was longer than a standard garage and I wanted expensive bifolds at the back.

PoshSlapper Sun 20-Mar-16 20:05:52

We did one last year - was c14K but no bathroom. But that also included reroofing whole thing and rendering vile 60s brick.

I used a great builder who is in Clifton area of Beds and would happily recommend. He tends to be happy to visit jobs and give ball-park figures prior to doing detailed fixed price quotes. Pm me if you'd like his details.

duende Sun 20-Mar-16 21:37:24

thanks everyone. I must say, I was hoping it would be a bit less than the figures you are mentioning...

18k seems not too far off what building an extension of that size would be?
I have emailed a couple of local garage conversion companies and have a couple of builders to call; thanks everyone for the information.

Posh, I will PM you if I'm struggling to get quotes locally, thank you for the offer.

clam Sun 20-Mar-16 21:49:37

We had ours done about 6 years ago - it's part integral to the main house. It included shifting doors/knocking through and making a double skin on part of the external wall that was only one brick thick. I seem to remember it was around 8K. No shower room though.
"Normal" builder did it.

Truckingalong Sun 20-Mar-16 22:08:03

£18k is indeed very expensive but there are reasons for that - some of it is because it's not going to be straightforward to get the bathroom in and to access drains but there are other reasons. We don't want an extension. 2 lots of neighbours had theirs done - no bathroom - and it was £8k and builder did a cracking job.

duende Sun 20-Mar-16 22:10:35

8k sounds a bit closer to what I had in mind..thank you!

MoonHare Mon 21-Mar-16 20:21:59

Our garage conversion was finished last month. Love it. So pleased we did it. Our garage was a length and a half so the front 3/4 is now a play room with the back 1/4 an additional utility room. Cost 9.5 k. We live in neighbouring county to you.

duende Mon 21-Mar-16 20:50:21

MoonHare can I ask how long it took to do? And would you recommend your builder?

livingthegoodlife Mon 21-Mar-16 21:22:33

i cant believe the prices i am reading here!! we had our garage converted last year. it was an attached garage to our utility room with a sort of connecting corridor/hallway.

we had ours converted into a study with a new suspended floor, full tanking, new dividing wall to leave us with a mini storage garage. connecting doors, plastering, electrics etc. no bathroom.

we paid about £2k.

we had to have a new roof to meet building control standards with extra insulation. that was an extra £2k.

duende Mon 21-Mar-16 23:06:26

Livingthegoodlife, I really need the details of your builder! Where in the country are you? Can I PM you?

Sunnyshores Tue 22-Mar-16 11:22:23

livingthegoodlife - where are you? thats an amazing price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now