Talk

Advanced search

Anyone from Plymouth?

(13 Posts)
squishysquirmy Fri 18-Mar-16 15:48:31

Do you like it there?

Considering a move to Plymouth due to a job offer.
We live in Scotland so it will be a big move, but we do really need the job!
Need to decide by Monday, trying to weigh up pros and cons at the moment but there's so many unknown factors, it feels like such a leap in the dark.

A big part of the uncertainty is what we can afford in terms of housing, and what local primary schools are like. We have a DD who is 2.
I have had a look on rightmove etc and there seems to quite a bit within our budget, but I have no idea what the areas these houses are in are like.

Any parts of Plymouth to avoid? Any you'd recommend?
Would probably have a budget of around £170,000 (maybe more) depending on what our current house sells for. Ideally would like 3 bedrooms (would settle for 2) with a garden and parking in a nice(ish), safe area. Is that realistic?

Touchacat Fri 18-Mar-16 16:12:42

I went to uni in Plymouth and still visit regularly. I have massive affection for the place! If I were moving back there, I'd be looking at Mutley, Greenbank, Mannamead and Peverell as places to live. No idea about prices and schools though. My friends who are still there love it (they live in Mutley and kids go to school in Greenbank) and have a great network of friends. It's a good community.

Plymouth is great in summer and it's close in proximity to the sea (obviously...) so good for water related leisure activities but also Dartmoor and such a good base for short/long breaks to Cornwall. And North Devon, east Devon, Dorset... The south West is lovely.

Have I sold it yet?!

I guess one downside is being far away from family and friends. It's a long drive and long train journey. And it has got some very rough areas but all cities have. People will also tell you it rains a lot but that isn't my lasting memory of the place.

Good luck with your decision!

squishysquirmy Fri 18-Mar-16 17:43:24

Thanks Touchacat, I'll check those areas out!

LittleRedTealight Fri 18-Mar-16 17:47:51

Plympton and Plymstock are both lovely but might be a bit over-budget. Both have some great primary schools and they're lovely, quiet suburbs. I grew up in Plympton and loved it there.

I second Touchacat, though, Peverell and Mannamead will be worth a look, maybe Eggbuckland too?

It's such a great city in a really beautiful part of the world. I don't live there any more, so I'm pretty envious of you. grin

indecisivedoctor Fri 18-Mar-16 17:49:30

I also studied there but just for a year. One of my best friends lives there still and has a fab house- Victorian terraced 3 bed. I think she paid c£160-170k. It's in a nice residential area near Mutley.

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 18-Mar-16 17:51:39

Where is the job? Traffic can be mad, so getting across the city is sometimes difficult in the mornings. We work in Plymouth but live in a small town 10 miles away with 30 minute commute.

Nosnowjustrain Fri 18-Mar-16 17:56:59

I live just outside Plymouth and I love it - brilliant if you like outdoorsy stuff.
Budget seems very realistic.
Area-wise I'm a bit of a snob so the only areas in the city that I'd consider are Peverell, St Jude's (the less studenty part), Stoke, Mannamead, Hartley and Derriford. Out of the city, Plymstock and Plympton are nice but over-populated and suffering from the building of the new town. Lots of gorgeous surrounding villages but these are slightly more pricey.
PM me if you want any specific info.

SorrelForbes Fri 18-Mar-16 18:03:09

Manadon, Mannamead, Hartley, Derriford, Roborough and Peverell are all nice.

Your budget is definitely realistic. We own (rent out as we don't live in Plymouth at the moment) a 4 bed 1930s semi and it's only worth £200K.

Some parts of St Judes, Stoke and Lipson aren't too bad and Lipson Vale primary is excellent.

Other good primary's are Montpelier, Hyde Park and Salisbury Road.

Avoid St Budeaux, Efford, Laira, Honicknowle, Estover, North Prospect.

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 18-Mar-16 18:25:27

You are unlikely to get something within budget in Hartley or mannamead (a semi detached is normally 250k- 350k depending on size) but Peverell is a possibility if you like a more central location (it has a nice community feel and a good school) also st Jude's is nice. Plympton is a good solid family
area but on the outskirts so a bit suburban for my tastes. However I have family who live there who love it!
Personally, I find plymouth a great place to live. Plenty going on - and lots of regeneration so it can only get better.
Devonport is being massively regenerated, and the park is beautiful. You could get a pretty sizeable house for your budget there. It's a small city at the end of the day, so you are never that far away from anywhere else.
Like any city, there are areas I would avoid if at all possible - but they are probably not that bad really. Good luck with your decision!

squishysquirmy Fri 18-Mar-16 20:23:34

Thanks all, the recommendations been really useful.
I've spent an enjoyable hour window shopping on rightmove, and I've seen some lovely houses in the areas you mentioned!
The job is near the hospital, happy to live further out or in suburbs though.
We'll probably end up renting for few months while waiting for current house to sell, but I wanted to know before DH accepted the job offer that if we moved there we could realistically have a similar quality of life to where we are now, and you've reassured me!
Still a lot of thinking to do but definitely warming to the idea now... grin

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 18-Mar-16 20:27:12

If you're wanting to be nearish to the hospital (with easy transport links etc) then Peverell is ideal. Quick bus journey!

Pinkstars2501 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:23:13

Oh how jealous am I?!

I recently moved from Plymouth (but visit family and friends there every few months) and miss it so much.
I lived in a few areas from a "nicer" area of Peverell, to an ex-authority in the Southway area. Both have easy bus journeys to the hospital/town.
I really miss being able to be either near the see or on the moors within 20mins. It's a really beautiful spot, especially when the sun is out.
Good luck on your search, lucky you!

SorrelForbes Sat 19-Mar-16 08:08:13

Ignore dreadful typos above!

The hospital (Derriford) is outside the centre of Plymouth near areas like Roborough, Crownhill and not too far from Peverell. Good luck with your move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now