Guesstimate for work to house.

(12 Posts)
BrieAndChilli Fri 18-Mar-16 12:41:17

I know that prices differ around the country and each job is different but ..
We currently rent a house -3 bed semi. We want at some point to buy and the landlord has indicated he would do is a good deal on this house.
Obviously living in the house means we know EVERYTHING that is wrong with the house /needs updating. We have no idea how much things cost so want to get an idea before we decide it's worth working towards.
It's a flat roof house but has had a pitched roof with former Windows put on, planning for 2 beds and a bathroom. Stairs would need to be put in, inside walls, electrics, floor, plumbing etc etc as it's just a shell.
Conservatory roof is way past it (plastic) and Windows have weird brown sap stuff running down the inside of the double glazing.

Kitchen is old and could do with replacing. There is a damp patch on kitchen ceiling where shower leaked and kitchen widow glazing has blown so needs replacing.

Gas fire was condemned when old back boiler bust and new boiler was site upstairs. Would like a wood burner.

Bathrooms is very old and some tiles are coming away from wall and others have very fine cracks in. So whole room needs doing.

We still have an old style fuse box and while house electrics probably need looking at.

Driveway needs replacing as the dug a trench trough it to connect waters new house next door (also the landlords) and was never filled in property so Tarmac above the trench has sunk.

Just trying to wrk out if it's worth staying here and doing work or buying a house already 'done'

Sunnyshores Fri 18-Mar-16 12:57:15

TBH unless youre going to get this very cheap, if you can get a house already done up then that seems much easier. To be able to walk out of rental and the same day into a done up property is a dream!

A very rough estiamte, must be at least £50k. A house that has been neglected like this will have many more problems to unearth and the hassle of getting trades in is unbelievable and will take over your life for many months.

BrieAndChilli Fri 18-Mar-16 13:33:22

For context a 3 floor 5 bed house very similar to what ours would be like after work is about £350 in our village. We could get this house for less than 200k, hopefully closer to 150k! I could cope with hassle is it saves us a lot of money! Kids are all in school so don't have a toddler running round to get in the way! I work from home part time so would be able to project manage and can do some stuff myself to save on some labour costs.
It's all pie in the sky at the moment and would need some intensive saving first.

DelphiniumBlue Fri 18-Mar-16 13:46:30

Kitchen and bathroom would cost what you want them to - you could replace bathroom fittings for under 500 quid, but you could go way more expensive. Kitchen - depends on size. You could get a kitchen planner round to estimate for top and bottom end ranges, but you'd probably be looking at upwards of five thousand. Loft extension - there was another thread on this recently, probably 30 k at least, more likely 35. No idea re electrics, say 5k?
You really need to be getting estimates, a lot depends on how much you want to spernd.
Bear in mind it won't all need to be done at once, sounds as if the loft extension could be done separately from the other jobs.

Lamu Fri 18-Mar-16 13:50:29

Has your landlord given you a price of what he'd be prepared to sell at? I think you need to be pretty clear on that first. Might be worth also getting an independent valuation with a local estate agent.

Why not get three builders in to give you quotes? IME it's pretty hard to give an idea of how much things would cost without seeing the state of the house. And with all things like this best have a contingency fund for the unexpected suprises.

TremoloGreen Fri 18-Mar-16 14:17:35

Well, as someone who is living in a project house with young children at the moment, you need to make sure that you get the house for a price that allows for the work, plus 10-15% contingency (it sounds v neglected, so you are going to unearth some new horrors, believe it) plus the hassle factor. I don't think we really allowed for the hassle factor, but houses sell like hot cakes round here so we had to swallow it. I will try and give you a breakdown of what I think your costs are but labour costs vary wildly throughout the country so depends whereabouts. This is based on my knowledge of doing houses in the SE, but have also done a couple Up North.

It's a flat roof house but has had a pitched roof with former Windows put on, planning for 2 beds and a bathroom. Stairs would need to be put in, inside walls, electrics, floor, plumbing etc etc as it's just a shell.
I don't really understand that bit sorry, I have a few problems with what used to be called 'comprehension' when I was at school.

Conservatory roof is way past it (plastic) and Windows have weird brown sap stuff running down the inside of the double glazing.
Do you want to replace a conservatory roof or knock it down and start again. I'm not a conservatory fan, so if you're planning an extension anyway I would try and roll this into it.

Kitchen is old and could do with replacing. There is a damp patch on kitchen ceiling where shower leaked and kitchen widow glazing has blown so needs replacing.
*If you shop around very cleverly and don't want top of the range stuff, and do things DIY where you can, you can have a new kitchen for £5k. It's easy to spend £8-10k though. If the leak has been rectified, does the ceiling need replastering or just repainting?

Gas fire was condemned when old back boiler bust and new boiler was site upstairs. Would like a wood burner.
Wood burner £1-2k for the burner. Installation including making a nice fireplace £1.5 - 2.5k, depending on what setup you have. Is there a chimney.

Bathrooms is very old and some tiles are coming away from wall and others have very fine cracks in. So whole room needs doing.
For a small bathroom, without rearranging any major plumbing, budget £2k for quality fittings (with very clever shopping around) and £3.5k for the labour. What age is the house - will the walls come down with the tiles.

We still have an old style fuse box and while house electrics probably need looking at.
Surely your landlord has had some type of safety inspection as a starrting point. We just paid £1.2k for a partial rewire to brin g everything up to spec including a new consumer unit and a few fancy extras. A full rewire could be £3.5k

Driveway needs replacing as the dug a trench trough it to connect waters new house next door (also the landlords) and was never filled in property so Tarmac above the trench has sunk.
No idea, but I think your first port of call is the water board to sort that out!

TremoloGreen Fri 18-Mar-16 14:20:44

Anyway, nice and easy to get builders round for quotes if you already live there!

Sunnyshores Fri 18-Mar-16 16:33:14

You say it would be worth £350k when finished. I really cant see your landlord selling it to you for under £200k. Has he said he would?

poocatcherchampion Fri 18-Mar-16 16:38:13

But you are currently living there? So it is livable and rentable? Aare you getting a discount because it is in poor repair?

You could do it bit by bit?

Lamu Fri 18-Mar-16 17:47:03

Sunnyshores my point exactly. I'd be very surprised if he was willing to sell for significantly below what it's valued at.

BrieAndChilli Fri 18-Mar-16 19:14:49

The 5 beds @ 350k are only similar in that they are 3 floor and 5 bed, they are detached (we are semi) with garages (we have none) and ate brand new with swanky kitchens and ensures and walk in wardrobes. It was more to illustrate that if we wanted a 5 bed in our village we would have to pay more than possibly buying ours an doing it up.

A similar house a couple of doors up (but detached, with a much bigger garden as landlord has partitioned up our massive garden (before we moved in) and built 3 other houses in the gardens of our house and the adjoining next door house) and done up nicely with nice kitchen and bathroom went for £250 a few months ago so ours would definitely be valued at rather less

BrieAndChilli Fri 18-Mar-16 19:19:41

If he wants to sell it on the open market there are several things he would have to replace/do up in order to sell it or sell it at a discount, (not that image has any plans to sell but he does sell to his tenants, next door did a deal where they bought half and rented half for 5 years) so I think his implication was that selling to us would save him doing any work and also save him estate agent fees etc as would be a private sale so he wouldn't really be losing any money overall he would still be getting roughly what he would after fees and work/conversion etc but we would be getting it cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now