Talk

Advanced search

Drilling

(9 Posts)
KittyOShea Thu 17-Mar-16 18:46:31

Okay so DH is the worst DIYer possible.

He spent 4 hours today trying to put up a curtain rail and it's dodgy as hell- definitely won't hold up the curtains.

I plan to increase the size of the holes for the fittings, add plugs and screw the fixings in that way to make it stronger.

I have the neighbours drill and the right drill bit and plugs but have never used a drill before!

So finally the question
1 Is it easy to use?
2 How do I know when I've drilled in far enough?

Thanks to anyone who read this far!

wowfudge Thu 17-Mar-16 19:07:48

My best advice is that you have a look on YouTube for a 'how to' video to show you what to do if you don't have someone to show you in person.

Hufflepuffin Thu 17-Mar-16 19:52:29

If you have the rawl plugs you can mark the drill bit with masking tape to the depth of the rawl plug to know how far to drill.

It's quite easy as long as you go straight and do your best to make sure you don't hit an electric cable!

KittyOShea Thu 17-Mar-16 20:50:04

Thanks! Both helpful hints. Fingers crossed grin

engineersthumb Thu 17-Mar-16 22:46:52

Hi
you might find that you're trying to drill into a concrete lintel, depends on the construction method. If so you'll find a sds drill much easier going than a standard pistol drill witha ghammer setting. Ideally miss the Intel altogether but sometimes this isn't possible. Make sure that you drill the correct sizef hole for the plugs reds are usually 5/5.5mm Brown 7mm. The hole should be deep enough to acomodate the screws and the plug should be inserted flush with the surface.

engineersthumb Thu 17-Mar-16 22:47:44

Ghammer = hammersmile

PigletJohn Fri 18-Mar-16 00:06:13

ignoring the depth of the plaster, you need to drill about an inch and a half (35mm) into whatever the wall is made of (hopefully brick or block). So if the plaster is about 15mm thick, you need to drill 50mm deep from the surface. Your plug and your screw must be long enough to reach that far, after the screw has passed through the fitting.

you need a hammer drill and a masonry bit. Avoid trying to drill into the lintel, which might be steel or reinforced concrete.

The size of bit you need, and the screw, will be shown on the flat part of the pack of plasplugs that you buy. I mostly use brown ones. Red, yellow or clear plugs might be supplied with the fitting; so might tiny screws. Throw them in the bin.

Use the snout of your vac to remove dust from the hole and verify that the screw and the plug will go into it. If the hole is loose and the plug spins, insert the nozzle of a tube of no-more-nails or own brand equivalent into the hole, and fill it from the back so there is no air bubble, withdrawing the nozzle as it fills. Insert the plug into the glue, wipe off excess with a wet finger, and leave overnight to set.

PigletJohn Fri 18-Mar-16 00:09:43

btw drill bits for masonry have a square or diamond-shaped insert brazed into the tip. They are not round-tipped like wood drills.

Masonry drills are usually silver; twist drills are usually blue-black. Twist drills are not suitable for walls.

KittyOShea Fri 18-Mar-16 08:19:37

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Going to have some brekkie then give a go.

Fingers crossed I still have all my fingers it goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now