Talk

Advanced search

Should we move to Chieveley?

(9 Posts)
moomama1976 Wed 16-Mar-16 18:24:54

Help! Dh and I have 2 sons, 8 & 5, and currently live in a flat in SW London with a teeny tiny garden. We have viewed a house in Chieveley which we absolutely love but are having the usual leaving London traumas! The move will be great for the boys - a playroom, a garden, a nice, safe village community. Not so good for dh who will have a commute involving a 15 min car journey, 50 min train then tube. Also, I am worried I will be a little isolated as we can't afford a second car for at least a year after moving.

Does anyone have any advice/experience of leaving London/commuting from Berkshire/Chieveley/The Downs secondary school?

Thanks so much!

LardonChase Wed 16-Mar-16 21:42:29

Yes. Chieveley is very nice, Newbury is good now. Surprisingly rural, but close to a lot of stuff

The Downs is excellent, brilliant school. One of Taters top ten state schools.

Commute is doable. And worth it in the long term (may not always seem it). Get him a moped...

Friends have just moved from London to nearby. He grew up in chieveley and went to the downs. He commutes. Says it all really.

Twink Wed 16-Mar-16 21:57:06

The Downs have had a lot of staff changes since the last inspection, and there are some very significant ones coming but it is a good school. Currently a Foundation school, so self managing under LA control, goodness knows what will happen after today's Budget announcements.

Chieveley is a great place to bring up teens, close enough to transport links but lots of outdoor stuff too. Only an hour from the coast, fantastic mountain biking, good indoor climbing locally,

Torres10 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:08:16

Chieveley is a lovely village, with a great position for A34/M4. I am guessing train would be from Didcot which is pretty easy to get in & out of and lots of parking, though I have never done the commute regularly, it should be straightforward.
To be honest, for a village, its great, lots of sports clubs, good primary and secondary school catchment, also has its own beer festival and impressive firework display! The only negative, potentially, is it can be too close knit at some times, especially if you are coming out of London, it is a different world!

moomama1976 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:10:41

Thanks both! After discussing this evening we decided not to go for the house - and now we're confused all over again!!

Thanks for the advice though.

moomama1976 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:11:37

Thanks Torres - I had read about the legendary fireworks display!

5amisnotmorning Thu 17-Mar-16 13:11:06

We moved out of London 2 years ago to a nearby village and love it. We both commute back into London a few days a week for work but you absolutely need a car if you are at home here. It is a fabulous place to live and bring up children.

5amisnotmorning Thu 17-Mar-16 13:12:49

Oh and DH grew up here and went to the Downs smile

moomama1976 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:38:11

Thanks 5am - where do you commute from, Newbury or Didcot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now