Talk

Advanced search

Doors to extension - trad/aluminium/dilemma!

(13 Posts)
rioblue Wed 16-Mar-16 15:46:51

Hi, I'm having a kitchen extension on my Victorian mid terrace. I want most of the back wall (4m opening) to be floor to ceiling glass but I'm having a complete dilemma about the style.

I think modern bifolds may look too shiny (planning to include as much period styling as poss, despite it being a modern addition, I'm having a trad kitchen etc) and also concerned about potential mechanism failures in the future. (Poss will need to rent it at some point so reducing risk of issues is good...).

So... I've been seeking something like a traditional French door, either as two sets of double doors - or the same style but as a bifold, if such a thing exists. I've attached pics of the style. I'm looking for aluminium frames as I understand these are zero maintenance - am I right? I'm having trouble finding a supplier, however - anyone have any recommendations?

Or shall I just put plain bifolds in? Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of? Please help!

Thanks smile

rioblue Wed 16-Mar-16 15:48:43

Example..

rioblue Wed 16-Mar-16 15:50:16

Example 2...

PigletJohn Wed 16-Mar-16 16:01:45

two sets of french windows could look more in keeping.

bifolds will not.

MsSampson Wed 16-Mar-16 16:14:12

Rioblue, I am not going to be any help at all, sorry.But I did wonder if I'd written this post in my sleep, as this is my exact question ;) Except I have definitely decided against bi-folds. But I am struggling to find a supplier of aluminium framed doors that aren't bi-fold or sliding. I'm hoping someone will come along with a good recommendation. Ours are going to be pretty big, and I'm worried about wood warping/swelling etc.

rioblue Wed 16-Mar-16 17:10:48

Thanks PigletJohn - this is where I'm leaning to aswell. But still feeling a little niggle about the value of bifolds for entertaining and whether I'll feel like I'm missing out with "just" doors!

Fingers crossed someone will stop by with some useful suppliers, Ms S!

ancientandmodern Wed 16-Mar-16 17:33:55

this kind of thing any good?

www.globaldoorsandwindows.com/products/french_doors.html

engineersthumb Wed 16-Mar-16 19:58:34

Maybe modern aluminium frames are different but they always have been prone to condensation. Basically the frame gets very cold as Ali transfers heat readily, warm air hits the frame condenses. Might be worth considering upvc for low maintenance or timber for asthetics with regular maintenance.

PigletJohn Wed 16-Mar-16 20:31:53

modern aluminium frames have a thermal break, and I believe are also filled with foam.

The manufacturer's probably publish U-values for them now, which you could compare to wooden windows, or even plastic ones if you like them.

engineersthumb Wed 16-Mar-16 21:01:15

Yes my memory of aluminium frames are those of the 1980s so they've probably moved on a lot.

PigletJohn Wed 16-Mar-16 21:05:27

I prefer wooden doors and windows, but Aluminium ones have slim profiles, much better than the fat wide ones of plastic, which is fundamentally weak and flexible.

rioblue Thu 17-Mar-16 16:25:41

Thanks all. Yes I've ruled out plastic as I don't like the look. I'm only thinking of aluminium over wood due to lack of maintenence (lazy!) but otherwise wood would win.

Yep, what PigletJohn said on the aluminium - I think you can get u values similar to pvc, just need to work out at what cost. ..

PigletJohn Thu 17-Mar-16 16:28:54

I have seen engineered wood frames with an aluminium skin on the outside, presumably for weather protection and reduced maintenance, but I don't know how they would last. I have an idea it is a European method.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now