Where to start?

(4 Posts)
SpaceKablooie Mon 14-Mar-16 21:09:53

How do you decide where to start when your house needs a lot of things doing to it confused? Our current tack is to do nothing, which isn't exactly useful. I really need a defined order.

wowfudge Mon 14-Mar-16 22:29:43

Start with anything structural or which affects the weather proofing of the house. Issues with heating and hot water really badly impact on daily life so prioritise those things too. Leaks can get much worse quickly so always deal with them promptly.

Make a long master list and look at grouping similar jobs together - perhaps a day spent doing X around the house would be beneficial or you have a day's work for a handyman or a chippy.

Sometimes there are non-essential jobs which make such a big difference to how something works for you that they are worth doing and you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

What's on your list?

SpaceKablooie Tue 15-Mar-16 07:39:33

Thanks wow, that's really useful. I get so overwhelmed by it all.

I'll have a go at writing that list - I think there are some obvious things that should be done first (weatherproofing and security). The boiler was new last year (phew).

What about new floors and skirting boards, re-wiring and plastering though? I suppose one of our problems is that it needs to be liveable in and modular (so that we can afford it as we go).

Alwayscheerful Tue 15-Mar-16 08:34:39

Start with re-wiring because the floor boards will need lifting and the plaster chopping out. Some electricians will only re-wire empty houses, you need to find a friendly sparky! Think about showers and cooker supply and where you want your sockets and mark them on the wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now