Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to worry about this? (Tv tripped breaker / electrical problem).

(9 Posts)
Fairylea Fri 11-Mar-16 15:02:39

Feel silly asking this but not sure what to do...

Came back from shopping and plugged tv in. It worked normally for about a minute and then turned itself off - I wasn't in the room when this happened as I had gone to make a tea. I flicked the switch back up on the circuit breaker and the tv came back on again no problem. It's been on nearly an hour now.

Would you call someone out or put it down to a one off weird thing? We are really short of money so unless it's dangerous I really don't want to ring someone out unnecessarily! If the consensus is that it's dangerous of course I will ring someone.

CheeseBadger Fri 11-Mar-16 15:07:07

Don't worry. The breaker did its job. And your kettle is more likely to be the culprit than your TV.

CheeseBadger Fri 11-Mar-16 15:08:04

Assuming it's on the same circuit as the TV... blush

Fairylea Fri 11-Mar-16 15:25:27

Thanks... Tv and kettle etc etc all working fine. confused

Hope nothing catches fire!

Qwebec Fri 11-Mar-16 15:31:48

Agree with Cheese. If ever you do some big renos you migh want to remember to look at the electricity and possibly add extra circuits.

Fairylea Fri 11-Mar-16 17:55:54

Thank you. I think the culprit may have been my iPhone charger! I plugged it in when I made my tea and I think that's what's tripped it. Think it's a dodgy one so thrown it out and going to use another one I have.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Mar-16 18:45:50

what sort of breaker? Does it say "B32" on it? Or does it have a "T" or "Test" button on it?

Fairylea Fri 11-Mar-16 19:34:52

T button.....?

PigletJohn Fri 11-Mar-16 19:52:15

then it is the RCD, detecting an earth fault.

Phone chargers often have a plastic "earth pin" where they plug in, in which case unlikely to trip an RCD. Kettles often do it, due to watersplash or the element failing with age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now