Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a sauna in your garden?

(15 Posts)
MotherofPirates Fri 11-Mar-16 10:33:14

Moving to a new house with a decent sized garden and really fancy a sauna but looking online is vv confusing! There are lots of different types and they all berate the style they are not selling! I don't have a huge amount to spend but want something that's going to blend into the garden and last. Any opinions/experiences?

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 11-Mar-16 12:00:39

Don't put it too far from the house as you will get cold going too and from it ! Cedar weathers well... Not much more info I can add ?! (Have designed then in pool and gym areas in houses but not garden ones ! )

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 11-Mar-16 12:03:40

Your neighbours will think you are Sex People.

Although if you cut back all your pampas grass and replace it with privet you may get away with it.

lapcat Fri 11-Mar-16 12:23:09

I have one of these in our holiday let. It seems to work well and we've had no complaints, but it was only installed 6 months ago so I can't comment on longevity. We didn't pay this much for it - it was in a hot tub/sauna deal.

www.outdoorlivinghottubs.co.uk/products/deluxe-barrel-sauna?variant=9943560900

PookieK Fri 11-Mar-16 14:08:34

Are you actually my husband? We are moving soon and he has developed a strange obsession with getting a sauna in the garden...? I am doing everything I can to put him off as I think its an unnecessary expense when the house needs a rewire/plumbing/new kitchen etc!!

Am especially not keen for the (quite posh) new neighbours to think we are 'sex people' blush.

Mmm I may need help to put him off - any other suggestions for convincing him we really don't need/want it welcomed. hmm

Qwebec Fri 11-Mar-16 15:28:06

I thaught the idea of personal saunas died with the 70's. Apparently not!
Pookied would your husband really use it enough to make it worthwile?

ErnesttheBavarian Fri 11-Mar-16 15:54:33

We have an infra red sauna in our bedroom. I guess purists want the real thing but I think the faff would put me off. I use it I'd say probably most evening. Especially now. I used it less in the summer. At the press if a button it's on. Afterwards shower and into bed. I really think having one in the garden would vastly reduce hiw much I used it. Plus I'd be mortified if the neighbours thought we were sex people, especially as one of my pupils lives 2 doors down!shock

MotherofPirates Fri 11-Mar-16 16:41:49

Yes the sex people thing had occurred to me but I think only English people think saunas=swingers and I see us more as Europeans grin.

As yet I have no pampas grass (or wicker hearts) PookieK I am defo not your husband but I think we would get on (seriously not doing myself any favours in the "we are not swingers stakes") in that there is much that needs doing in the house that I should really prioritise - just like the idea of somewhere to unwind.

How would the neighbours know anyway I'm thinking it will just look like a shed/garden office?

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 11-Mar-16 16:56:35

Wicker hearts? My mums just got me one. She's a very straight laced ex primary teacher. Wicked sense of humour after a few drinks though. Now i'm trying to think if she gave it to me after our boozy mothers day lunch.

CakeandRoses Tue 15-Mar-16 09:42:23

Yes we do. We put it in a couple of years ago and it's used most weekends.

It's right at the end of our quite big garden which I thought would be a pain but I love walking back through the fresh air, boiling hot from the sauna.

We have the standard type with a heater element thingy that you can chuck water on.

ForalltheSaints Tue 22-Mar-16 22:16:13

Sounds idyllic if you have the space, as long as you have a robe to walk to and from the sauna. I suppose you need to ensure you cannot be viewed from the outside as the only way in my view to have a sauna is without clothes.

orchidnap Wed 23-Mar-16 08:46:42

Am I the only one thinking of that episode of men behaving badly? grin

HoneyDragon Wed 23-Mar-16 22:34:16

We're planning on putting one in our garage. I assume the neighbours have guessed we're sex people as we have two children wink

ForalltheSaints Thu 31-Mar-16 19:03:31

I went to an event a couple of weeks ago with a sauna in a garden, just for the one evening. It was idyllic, though a bit cold outside after leaving the sauna.

MotherofPirates Fri 12-Aug-16 12:55:07

Sorry realise this is a bit old now but have been busy moving house (what a drag). HoneyDragon and CakeAndRoses what type/make of sauna did you go for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now