Advanced search

Do I need a builder or a carpenter?

(6 Posts)
swquestion Mon 07-Mar-16 09:41:33

Sorry for the naive question but in the house we are buying I want to remove the ceramic tiled kitchen floor and lay engineered floorboards down instead. Thinking about getting quotes but who would do the work best? Presumably I need a builder ? Thanks.

IsItMeOr Mon 07-Mar-16 09:43:17

We had a specialist flooring company lay our floorboards. But you may need to check whether they are also able to remove the existing floor.

swquestion Mon 07-Mar-16 09:47:12

Thanks. Was the company the one who supplied the boards in the first place?

IsItMeOr Mon 07-Mar-16 09:59:08

Yes, they supplied and fitted. Thinking about it though, we had builders in at the same time doing the extension, so they did any prep work needed before the floor went in.

I'd be inclined to see if you can find a company that supplies and fits flooring, and ask them about getting the prep work done.

wonkylegs Mon 07-Mar-16 10:05:29

I would use a flooring company/fitter. A builder might do it as part of a bigger job but is unlikely to be interested as a stand alone job, they are less likely to be able to give you quite as good a finish as they are a generalist not a specialist.

IsItMeOr Mon 07-Mar-16 10:15:46

And I agree with wonkylegs that our experience is that specialists do a better finish than generalists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now