Bathroom quote

(11 Posts)
Niceteeth Sun 06-Mar-16 20:52:13

Can anyone tell me if they think this is a good quote we've had from a plumber? We're having
1. one medium sized family bathroom half tiled, half skimmed, all new suite with separate bath and shower cubicle, also floor tiled, plus led ceiling spotlights. Heated towel rail.
2. Ensuite completely replumbed with a new waste stack into the outside drain (currently a saniflow toilet being replaced), all new suite with shower cubicle. Also half tiled, new heated towel rail.
3. New pressurised cylinder boiler with really big cylinder! Can't remember capacity. This being resited to the loft, currently in bathroom.

We had one quote of £15000 and one of £12500 both without tiles. Both have given a timeframe of 2 weeks. They both seem reliable, have been recommended. Does this seem reasonable?

Niceteeth Sun 06-Mar-16 22:15:42

Bump, anyone?

PixieGio Sun 06-Mar-16 22:19:16

Where abouts are you, London?

21stCenturyBreakdown Sun 06-Mar-16 22:28:37

Sounds reasonable to me. We've recently been quoted £12,500 for something similar - main bathroom fully tiled but otherwise exactly the same as you; ensuite the same as you but without a waste stack; no boiler replacement, but a complete gutting and replacement of a cloakroom instead.

In terms of the timeframe - how many people are you expecting to do the work? We've been quoted 4 weeks total, so 2 weeks sounds quite short - but I think ours is based on just one fitter and an electrician where needed.

Niceteeth Sun 06-Mar-16 22:35:06

Ooh thanks for replying, im south midlands

Niceteeth Sun 06-Mar-16 22:36:35

Oh sorry I meant to say 3 weeks, not 2. Whereabouts are you 21stcentury?

Niceteeth Sun 06-Mar-16 22:38:33

He says he has a team, so not sure how many exactly. I know that timescales can change, but would be good to know how optimistic it is or otherwise!

LadyOrangutan Sun 06-Mar-16 22:41:48

I'd ask for a complete breakdown of costs.
We got a quote last year for bathroom works which was 7k more than the company we ended up using. The more expensive company had things like "drill hole in bath for taps - £80" in the breakdown. They must have thought we were complete mugs!!

Niceteeth Sun 06-Mar-16 22:59:14

Hmm, good idea. Was thinking best to sign a contract as well?

21stCenturyBreakdown Mon 07-Mar-16 06:13:54

Ah, fair enough - 3 weeks is less of a difference. I'm on the south coast.

LadyOrangutan Mon 07-Mar-16 13:03:16

The quote should be sufficient as long as it's a quote and not an estimate.
Ask them how they approach unexpected costs. Will they clear it with you before proceeding?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now