Moving to Surrey - where to go?

(7 Posts)
caggy123 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:38:04

Hi all

Very first post on here. Am looking for any advice you may have on nice areas to live in Surrey (south london side).

We currently live in Isleworth and have been here for 8 years. We are happy here and are close to work however since having our second child (now 14 months) and our eldest is 2 years and 10 months and having reduced my hours at work we are feeling like we are juggling 2 mortgages with childcare for 3 days plus our regular mortgage and so are thinking to cash in and get a much smaller mortgage elsewhere. We have family in Croydon, Tulse Hill and Leatherhead and so would also like to combine this with an opportunity to be nearer to them. Looking for good commutes to Clapham junction and on from there to our respective jobs in london. Initial ideas are Sutton, Carshalton way. Having no experience of these areas other than driving through and talk of very good schools any other thoughts/advice?

Thanks smile

tittysprinkles Sat 05-Mar-16 22:46:35

Have you considered Epsom? My in laws are there and I consider it a bit of a second home. Couldn't tell you about schools but I'd happily raise my kids there.

caggy123 Sun 06-Mar-16 08:23:56

Thanks, yes also thought about Epsom so good to hear positive reports about it, perhaps it'll be our next place to go and explore smile

SurferJet Sun 06-Mar-16 08:25:49

Wimbledon? Kingston? New Malden?
All very nice but ££££££££ ( Kingston has some of the best schools in the country)

Good luck!

SurferJet Sun 06-Mar-16 08:30:18

If your thinking Sutton, then Worcester Park is the area to look at, 12 minutes into Clapham junction, but again, quite expensive. ( decent size house 500k )

There are plenty of nice places in Surrey. Really depends upon what's important to you. How near you want to be to relatives, schools, budget, commuting time, etc. Distance to station and train line can of course make a big difference to commuting time.

Places like Kingston, Esher, the Dittons, Molesey (cheaper) are all good options but there are many more.

Any more info?

caggy123 Sun 06-Mar-16 11:17:44

Thanks for all the responses! Our top budget is 500k and we need to be close by to rail links and no more than 30 mins commute to Clapham junction. Good schools a must too. Bit of a mind field as there are so many towns/villages in Surrey and a lot I've never heard of .... Keen to have greener surroundings/parks/woodland but not 100% rural as need to still feel close to civilisation!

Really appreciate your time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now