Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1930's Property - Surveyor says it needs a new roof.

(11 Posts)
trollydollykitty Fri 04-Mar-16 20:19:25

I hope this makes sense to somebody because it definitely doesn't to me. But me and my partner have had our offer accepted on a house - great! We're first time buyers & the vendors found there property before putting their own on the market so accepted our offer providing it was the asking price! YAY were thinking -it must be meant for us! However after having a big survey done he's said that it will need definite roof repair if not a new roof as its come to the end of its life. (in our paperwork) ... to the bank though he as said its worth the money and accepts that it needs no more surveys done. So basically, we had a roofer (who is reputable and we know) go out today to get a quote for us... still waiting. He's promised he will have it by tomorrow. What we need to know now is who is it up to, to pay the price? were reckoning it will come in around the 3-4k mark but we've already had our maximum offer from the bank so definitely won't be able to find more money to fund it cries .. anyone who's had this situation or knows about this type of thing! PLEASE! Put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance

Quodlibet Fri 04-Mar-16 20:21:09

All you can do is go back to the vendors and revise your offer downwards in light of the new quote.

SwedishEdith Fri 04-Mar-16 22:27:27

I'm pretty sure the lifespan of a roof is about 70 (?) years. So surveys will always say a roof on a house of this age has come to the end of its life. But plenty of older houses still have their original roof. If he's valued it at the agreed price, it doesn't need a new roof yet. That's how I'd interpret it.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 04-Mar-16 23:09:54

I would call the surveyor and talk to him about it. I remember when we bought our first place the survey read like it was falling down. Called the surveyor and he laughed and said (words to the effect of) no don't worry it's fine.

Does the survey rate it as something that needs to be done immediately?

genome Fri 04-Mar-16 23:20:43

The survery for our 1930s house suggested a re-roof as its the original and doesn't have felt underneath like the modern standards state, but that it was currently watertight. We just keep an eye on it for slipped tiles or leaks.
Does the survey say it's damaged/leaking or just that it doesn't meet the modern standards with felt etc?
You could try to negotiate your offer down to cover the cost, but if its not something raised as needing to be sorted straight away due to leaking etc then I'm not sure you're in the best negotiating position.

trollydollykitty Sat 05-Mar-16 07:59:28

Thanks for you're replies everyone, the surveyor says there has been leaking at some point as its got silver lining patch repairs to stop leaks coming through. He said the reason he didn't de-value the property was plainly because if he'd knocked off 5k and the roof quote only came it at 3k we'd still have to find another 2k to purchase the house as the bank would only lend us what he valued it at. If that makes sense? generally having a nightmare - the owners have admitted that it needs a new roof and it was a job they were going to do in the next couple of years (which is good) so then how do we get to a decision now?

trollydollykitty Sat 05-Mar-16 08:03:09

Ps it reads that the roof doesn't need replacing immediately but needs attention now and a replacement within next couple of years,
Dont want to try and find money to replace a roof after two years!!

lighteningirl Sat 05-Mar-16 08:06:53

sounds like it's been priced with the roof repairs in mind already you could try splitting the cost just drop your offer £2,000 but if it's valued at asking price as a seller I'd say no, especially as they havent found anywhere yet.

DingbatsFur Sat 05-Mar-16 08:10:49

We have a 1930s house and the same came up on our survey. The roof was fine-ish and many houses on the street did not have their roofs replaced.
Do ask what the roof is made of. You may find it's asbestos slates.
Re-roof cost us £8000 5 years ago.

MiaowTheCat Sat 05-Mar-16 09:11:58

Our house is about 1925, survey picked up the roof was nearing the end of its life and informally the surveyor said to us it probably had about 5 years max in it. We bought it and started saving for the roof work and had it done a few years ago - by now pretty much every house on our street has had their roof redone now and many were reporting theirs were starting to leak before getting them replaced (including our neighbour who is really on top of routine maintenance so it wasn't a matter of neglect but just sheer old age).

We paid £3k a few years ago for a semi in the midlands - he's put his prices up a bit since then I know because we were the last to get in on his old price structure.

user1498035794 Tue 05-Sep-17 12:38:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now