Talk

Advanced search

Window dilemma

(7 Posts)
fufulina Thu 03-Mar-16 13:34:51

I am driving myself mad with windows and need some words of wisdom.

We have a terraced Victorian house. All (bar the converted loft) have single-glazed sashes (and one single glazed casement). The casement (which is actually a bad replacement for a lovely original bay at the back) and one sash in particulare are in a bad state - they need work.

I am totally torn, though - because we don't need to rip out all the windows and replace - that would be ridiculous and cost about £20k, but if we replace the two that need doing (in timber), they would be double glazed not single glazed. Would that be weird? I think I'm concerned about maintaining the same look throughout the house... Is that ridiculous? The other windows just need some redecoration and refurbishment in the next year or so, but otherwises I love the look of the single glazing. What do you think?

HollyMaingate Thu 03-Mar-16 13:40:21

I would think only you would notice that they were double glazed - it would unlikely be noticeable from the outside and timber double glazed is definitely the way forward.

Is there no scope for refurbing the bad sash rather than replacing?

HollyMaingate Thu 03-Mar-16 13:41:04

By that I mean, just get the one/two that need doing done, no need to rip them all out because some are single/some double - especially if they're in different rooms.

fufulina Thu 03-Mar-16 13:43:05

Thank you - yes different rooms, and at the back, and only windows in the rooms. The bad sash is really bad. Both are south-facing and shafted.

I think it is just me that would notice!

mayhew Thu 03-Mar-16 15:48:15

I have a mixture of new and refurbished sashes. The new ones are double glazed. It's not at all noticeable.

fufulina Thu 03-Mar-16 16:11:30

Thank you Mayhew - that is v helpful.

loulou0987 Fri 04-Mar-16 10:44:21

We had some reproduction windows made and they were single glazed. You can get really thin double glazing though as we looked at that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now