Talk

Advanced search

Range cooker?

(9 Posts)
ilovetosleep Thu 03-Mar-16 13:14:30

We're very early days in planning our kitchen (what an epic job)

No idea what to do about cooker. We currently have an eye level oven and a 90cm gas hob on the worktop. Options for new kitchen are 1) the same thing but with an extra combi oven built in with the standard oven, 2) The same oven set up but with a hob on the island (would prob go induction in this scenario) or 3) a range.

Can't for the life of me think of any pros/cons to any of these set ups. I guess I'd prefer gas hob. But I am tempted by the idea of cooking at the island so I can chat to the kids.

Why are range cookers so desirable? Don't they gather dust and dirt under/either side? But they look great - is that the main appeal? And where to begin choosing one - there are hundreds. Is Rangemaster the best?

Thanks in advance!

HereIAm20 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:56:53

We have moved into a house that has a range. We are having the kitchen done in April and its going! We hate it! It is a combi one (gas hob, electric over and an electric barbecue griddle on the top too. 2 ovens - one of which is incredibly small and therefore bloody useless!

Ours is a Britannia and I can't wait to get rid! I prefer the ovens at eye level so I don't have to keep being to see, take things out and I miss my induction hob sooooo much!

DarkBlueEyes Thu 03-Mar-16 21:34:05

I had a range cooker in my last house (Falcon 110) and there's one in this house, an old Rangemaster. I'm taking my Falcon with me when/if the sodding house sells, I really do love it. I've had a wall oven too which is easier on your back I guess. It depends on your kitchen layout and what works, but if you are going to have a hob with an oven underneath it, I'd go for a range. Rangemaster are the entry level, then it goes Falcon and then Aga (it's the same company). The old Rangemaster I have is a bit pants and I'd thought of getting one but won't be now, I'll take my Falcon!

Qwebec Fri 04-Mar-16 00:21:20

I only ever had and used a range cooker so acn't compare, but I like it bc it is easy to clean and change. Fridge over freezer was a revolution for me, but I can't say I mind bending to use the oven.
Hob on a island is not the best of ideas, the dirt ins stead of going on the wall splatter everywhere and it is much easier to knock the pots over.
I now have a ceramic hob and it is so easy to keep clean, I would never change back to something else.

lighteningirl Fri 04-Mar-16 07:40:15

I have my first ever range cooker and I LOVE it. It's a low range smug bit of a batch to clean but having six rings all off different sizes two ovens two grills and a huge storage for pans underneath it's the best bit of my amazing new kitchen and did I mention I LOVE it.

ilovetosleep Fri 04-Mar-16 08:41:03

My mum has one of those snag ranges actually and I must admit it looks cool but also looks like a bugger to clean!

One of the reasons I'm tempted by an island hob is the work top space. If we have it there we'll get a really nice long run of worktop against the wall. If that is broken up by a hob and the island kept clear, like it is now, the island just ends up a dumping ground by everyone in the house. It's just a mess!

lighteningirl Fri 04-Mar-16 20:30:59

Yes my smeg is a bit of a pain but worth it

errorofjudgement Sat 05-Mar-16 08:20:00

We moved into our house a year ago and it has a range style cooker, I hate it.
We have just ordered a new kitchen, and are having eye level oven and grill plus hob.
Friends have the identical range cooker and absolutely love it.
I think they are like marmite 😀

Rafflesway Sat 05-Mar-16 14:57:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now