Pre Open House cleaning frenzy - tell me it's worth it! And what have I forgotten?

(10 Posts)
linspins Thu 03-Mar-16 11:57:39

We've got an open house this Saturday, and only got three viewings so far booked in. I've been cleaning, tidying, scrubbing, de cluttering like a mad woman. I'm getting a bit worried that I'm focusing too much on the small detail ( every finger print on paintwork) and will overlook something important. What do you think are the most important things when viewing a house?

Hackedoffevenmore Thu 03-Mar-16 12:10:26

I think clean is the main thing.
I put out fresh towels, made the bed nicely and put away the washing up liquid & marigolds. I'm sure some experts will be along soon.

kirinm Thu 03-Mar-16 12:13:09

If you're in London cleaning would be the only thing I'd recommend. Open days are a nightmare for prospective buyers but if you're in a strong market I don't think it really matters what it looks like.

Madblondeog Thu 03-Mar-16 12:16:06

Stop stressing and have a cup of tea

When we were looking around places a few months back things we looked for, that you can actually impact, were:
- A house that looks like it had been cared about (so clean, tidy, grass cut, if things were left out they were organised, beds made, towels folded nicely in the bathrooms)
- I have vision but DP doesn't so set out furniture in a way to make the rooms look as large as possible even if that's not how you would have it usually (the place we purchased has big rooms but the furniture was in a way that made them look tiny, it was only looking at the measurements and comparing them to our old house he believed me that they were big enough)
- No clutter as that implied not enough storage and made rooms look smaller
- Make the place smell nice, shake and vac or something

Also remember that what will sell the house in the end are things you can't control - room sizes, location, parking, schools etc.

otherstories Thu 03-Mar-16 12:22:17

No expert but based on my experience. Get rid of all clutter, ideally into your car so the viewers don't get killed opening a cupboard somewhere. You are selling the space so only keep what makes a room or adds some character if you can. Make the bathroom sparkle, glass cleaner and squeegee on all mirrors, and hide things like washing up bowls and drainer if they are grubby (aren't they all after 2weeks?!). We got some cheap flowers for living room and kitchen. Fresh bed linen, change the hand towel just before so no one has used it and don't leave bath towels out. Heating on and (it pains me to write it but) windows open for 30mins an hour before to get rid of any normal life smells and make it airy. Good luck!!

linspins Thu 03-Mar-16 12:29:46

Thanks everyone. We're in the south east, commutable to London, so market reasonably strong. But stressing at only three viewings- let's hope at least one offers on it! I'll go and buy some extra flowers. We're all staying at my mums on Friday night, so I can leave the house looking neat on Friday and it won't be a huge rush on Saturday morning. Shame the weather forecast looks crap, our garden is one of the selling points and if it's pouring down they might not go out in it.
I've moved some furniture, and am going to put a few bits in the garage tomorrow. Does anyone actually do the old 'baking bread' trick, or is that just an urban myth?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Mar-16 12:33:40

If you're feeling brave you could name change and post a link and we could see if you're missing anything?

That sex dungeon in the basement has to go!

linspins Thu 03-Mar-16 12:42:54

I might do that Laurie! I've never named changed before...can you go back to your original one after?
Keeping the dungeon door locked anyway.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Mar-16 12:48:56

Yes, you can. I change mine at Christmas sometimes

lalalonglegs Thu 03-Mar-16 14:52:51

If you are stuffing things into cupboards and wardrobes to declutter, don't. Viewers always open them and it would give a much better impression to have a minimala mount of stuff in there because (a) it impliesy ou have adequates storage (b) it will make it easier to move if you have already got rid of all unnecessaryb it's and pieces.

Good luck with open day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now