Talk

Advanced search

Artex in a 1995 Bryant house - asbestos

(7 Posts)
MissTurnstiles Thu 03-Mar-16 09:17:03

DH thinks I'm worrying unnecessarily, but - we have had some water come through the hall ceiling in our 1995 Bryant house, and a small patch of Artex has come down. Does anyone have experience of whether I should get an asbestos test done for a house of this period?

RaeSkywalker Thu 03-Mar-16 09:22:04

Hi Turnstiles my DH says that "there shouldn't be" in a house built in 1995 but you can never be certain. Does it have particularly big peaks? This means it's more likely apparently!

MissTurnstiles Thu 03-Mar-16 09:24:05

Thanks Rae. No big wedding-cake peaks - more of a gently swirling stipple.

We are planning to get it plastered over at some point and I cannot wait to have smooth ceilings again...

specialsubject Thu 03-Mar-16 16:11:47

they stopped putting asbestos in Artex in 1984. Unlikely that a builder would still have stocks 10 years later.

MissTurnstiles Thu 21-Apr-16 15:47:03

An update - surveyor came from insurance company and said that he had to send a sample of the ceiling for testing as it could contain asbestos. We are currently sitting on pins, waiting for the results.

MrsFlorrick Thu 21-Apr-16 17:17:47

It's possible but quite unlikely.

Even if it was asbestos the removal/containment will be fairly simple. It will cost a moderate sum but honestly not the end of the world. I am assuming that more than room in the house is affected?

Asbestos containing products such as asbestolux board (not the asbestos free version but the White asbestos version) were still used in the 90s. When I trained as a building surveyor in the early 90s, we were just told that it was "best practice" to avoid white asbestos containing products. I believe it all stopped in 1997.

It is possible that it isn't actually an artex ceiling but a textured lining paper? It can be quite hard to tell the difference if the paper doesn't have any loose edges and is in good condition.

Fingers crossed you're asbestos free!

MissTurnstiles Sun 05-Jun-16 18:22:12

One final update - we are officially asbestos-free. Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now