Talk

Advanced search

Is this flat old or new(ish)?

(24 Posts)
kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 14:21:54

We can't work it out. The inside looks fairly old and at first I thought the outside could be Victorian but DP went and had a look at the outside yesterday and said it looks quite new and purpose built.

What do you think?

Vestry Road, London, SE5
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39931737.html

PatriciaHolm Wed 02-Mar-16 14:24:02

The epc is dated 2009 so it's at least that old.

cathyandclaire Wed 02-Mar-16 14:24:40

It looks old to me.

kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 14:25:41

I mean old old as in Victorian old? The windows don't seem Victorian but I've seen Victorian buildings like that.

PatriciaHolm Wed 02-Mar-16 14:26:33

The epc is dated 2009 so it's at least that old.

traviata Wed 02-Mar-16 14:27:35

I'd guess it's post-war, but built to fit in with the Victorian style of the adjoining terraces. Perhaps it was built in a gap caused by bomb damage.

cestlavielife Wed 02-Mar-16 14:29:30

it is old. the floorboards look old. it was sold in 1999 see the market info 10 Dec 1999 £68,000

kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 14:29:51

That's what I was thinking. Seems everything I see was bombed and built to look similar but with some glaring oversights!

BitOutOfPractice Wed 02-Mar-16 14:30:28

Well the flush handle on the loo has seen better days! <misses point>

cestlavielife Wed 02-Mar-16 14:31:28

but it does look like an add on to the rest of the terraces so could be a later addition ie later in 20th century maybe post war - have a look at one of those bomb maps . landregistry would tell you

cestlavielife Wed 02-Mar-16 14:32:00

bomb damage map bombsight.org/#15/51.5058/-0.0893

Starman16 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:34:07

I don't think it's Victorian, but old in the sense that it isn't a 'modern' purpose built block - looks to me like a building that's been converted...the style and spacing of the windows makes it look more like an industrial than a residential one.

kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 14:41:24

Bombs close to the street but not definitely on the street according to that bomb sight.

Moving15 Wed 02-Mar-16 16:02:07

It looks 80s to me!

lalalonglegs Wed 02-Mar-16 16:18:46

I think it might be old but not have been non-residential - it was later converted into housing which is why the window openings etc don't look quite right. I agree the floors, the fact that it has quite wide chimney breasts and so on point to an older building. What's that funny little space next to the bedroom for???

Snoopadoop Wed 02-Mar-16 16:26:45

It doesn't look Victorian but this house on the same road here has been described as a Victorian gem. It's a house though rather than apartment. It could be that the apartments were added later and made to look Victorian or they're converted Victorian. As the estate agent.

Snoopadoop Wed 02-Mar-16 16:27:09

Ask the estate agent... I mean.

PigletJohn Wed 02-Mar-16 16:33:13

It has a flat roof and the window shapes look postwar EJMA. It has large chimney breasts so I doubt it was built later than about 1960. There is no fancy brickwork. The bathroom suite is old fashioned and presumably original. Can't make out what the waste pipes are made of but I have seen similar from the late 1950's. The airbricks also look 1950s-60's to me.

If it is prewar it would have been very modern for its time, enough to feature in builders' and architects' books and magazines.

It is on a corner plot so it might have been redeveloped after a pub or corner shops were demolished.

The floorboards might or might not be original or stained. It may possibly have concrete subfloors, again 1950s-60s would fit that style where a concrete edge shows like a belt round the building.

The front loggia and the G-plan furniture suggest 1950s-60s

Flat roofs leak.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 02-Mar-16 16:57:49

I'd have said early 80's but Mr PJ is the local expert

Just when you think London prices couldn't shock you any more though !
This is what your budget will get you in my neck of the woods if you like period style. Trillions of brand new stuff.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52521412.html?premiumA=true

kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 17:00:30

Haha thanks PigletJohn. We lost enthusiasm for it (we didn't have loads to start with) when DP saw it last night. I'm desperate for a period property but am still going to see this as it's not far from me and I want to see what it looks like inside.

We did ask the EA but they had no idea.

PigletJohn Wed 02-Mar-16 17:04:38

take photos of the incoming gas and water pipes, and the electricity meter and cables around it, that will often tell, even when it has been modernised.

kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 17:24:24

We are slightly demanding in that we want a garden (we have a cat and also I quite like the fresh air). We've cut our budget and are now reducing the number of bedrooms we are prepared to have just so we can stop bloody looking. House hunting is depressing.

RB68 Wed 02-Mar-16 17:29:09

I think it has potential to be a great place but it is really tired - as to price I don't think I will ever become inured to the London Market - I occasionally look at Greenwich which is DH home turf and sigh

kirinm Wed 02-Mar-16 17:36:09

Oddly you do adjust to the prices quite quickly when here. I only moved to London a couple of years ago and the rental market prepared me.

I still think the prices are mental and it's a disgrace that properties have become so expensive but £399k is starting to sound like a bargain (for that area).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now