Can't make an open day!!

(10 Posts)
FirstT1meBuyer Sun 28-Feb-16 19:37:31

Just that really!

Property we've seen and like has an open day, but we are away over that weekend. We are waiting for the EA to call us tomorrow to say if we can visit another time, but if they say no, what do we do?

The market moves so fast around here they will sell over the open weekend. The house a few doors down sold in 3 days! sad

magimedi Sun 28-Feb-16 19:51:36

If you really like the property you will have to give up your w/e away.

Prioritise!

What is more important to you?

W/E away or house?

FirstT1meBuyer Sun 28-Feb-16 20:25:47

Well the weekend away has cost £300+ and we aren't loaded (well rich enough to be first time buyers! wink). We won't get a refund. It was a treat we booked for various reasons.

I'm irritated that it happens to be the only weekend we're probably unavailable between now and June. Such bad timing!

Maybe the universe is trying to tell us this is a no!

lalalonglegs Sun 28-Feb-16 20:35:43

If there's a good turn out and more than one offer likely, the agent will probably ask for best and final offers by Monday afternoon/Tuesday. Ask if you can see the property on Monday morning and be prepared to join the best and finals if you like it enough.

Marmitelover55 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:54:35

Could you try and change the date of your break? Or go a bit later, after the open house?

Believeitornot Sun 28-Feb-16 22:08:52

We had people visit not on the open day and we're happy to do so. We let them view because they were very keen and had the funds in place.
So give it a go, you never know

Imknackeredzzz Sun 28-Feb-16 22:22:15

Agent knows they will sell on open day, so without being brutal why would they make extra work for themselves to get you in?

Sorry I think it's either no weekend away, or accept losing the property

Mougly Sun 28-Feb-16 22:51:46

I would go past the property and put a cheeky note under the door asking if you can come and see it Monday, tell the owner you're very keen but will miss the opening. The agent doesn't care as they will have buyers. I viewed a property that sold 12 hours later! agent didn't bother calling back or answering emails.

FirstT1meBuyer Mon 29-Feb-16 00:34:29

Well we're going to ask and see what comes of it. Can't move the break, so I'm going to go with the attitude of what will be will be.

We are in an excellent position, first time buyers so chain free. But we won't be the only ones I'm sure, and as you say, they know they will sell, so why bother with us?

Sod's law this would happen though!

mougly I think I would be too scared to do that!

HereIAm20 Mon 29-Feb-16 10:44:05

This happened to us. The open day was on the Saturday and we were flying to the US on the Friday. We called the agent and asked to see the property. They told us no. I asked that they at least ask the owner if we could go round and that I was available immediately (I was literally sat up the road). The owner agreed and we saw the house and the open day went ahead. We put an offer in before the open day and had to up it afterwards as there were 3 parties after it. We got it (over the asking price) but one of the factors was that the owner had met us and liked us so when it came to the stage where we had matched another offer they sold to us. All because I wouldn't take no from the agent (but obviously the owner was happy for me to view early). If you don't ask you'll never know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now