Talk

Advanced search

regret not putting rsj in new kitchen diner

(29 Posts)
mummylovekids Sun 28-Feb-16 17:01:37

Hello,

We have completed kitchen diner extension last year, but left in a supporting pillar that is one and a half metres wide. It is really annoying, and in hindsight we should have got a rsj inserted which would have improved light given our kitchen area has no windows and is at the back of the extension now. Would this be an easy amendment to do in the future? If we put in a rsj would there be a need to get plumbing advice, as our bathroom is immediately upstairs from where the joist would go. How expensive would this be? any ideas welcome and anybody have a similar experiences ? ta

Marmitelover55 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:18:20

Sorry can't answer your question but wondering if it is a chimney breast as that would be a lot more work/expense I think.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:22:00

I got two load bearing walls taken down and two rsj put in

gruffalocake2 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:24:39

Yours looks almost exactly like a house we just bought. We plan to remove it and surveyor said its fine to do. No need to alter upstairs if you're happy for it to remain at the level of the bits either side, ie not completely hidden. It will go across the whole width of the house, not just fill in that area so it's a big bit of metal. Rough guesstimate we got was 2-3k but that might be way off.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:25:49

But all the work was done at once, then plastering etc

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:27:17

It is worth doing before you do any more, and the light will increase dramatically

BikeGeek Sun 28-Feb-16 19:31:55

The pillar looks far deeper than if it was just a wall, I'd wonder if there was a reason for that. How long would the span need to be in total?

ChablisTyrant Sun 28-Feb-16 19:34:33

Looks easy to do with minimum disruption because the RSJ doesn't need to sit above the ceiling. Is there are electric or plumbing on the pillar? And how will you make good the floor? I'd do it...

Marmitelover55 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:55:12

I think the depth might be due to it being a chimney breast...?

Marmitelover55 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:00:16

We have a pillar of similar thickness due to the fact it is a chimney breast (see right side of photo).

yomellamoHelly Sun 28-Feb-16 20:12:54

Looks like you kitchen/diner is very similar to ours, including the openings at different heights. We've kept the kitchen in the corner and the dining table in the old kitchen. Our wall is 0.8m though. We left the previous openings as they were with the original lintels.
Were told it might cost us up to 5 figures to take out both lintels and put one large beam across the whole lot. We were told it was tricky because of the size of steel needed (room is 7.5m across) and because the wall between the original kitchen and new kitchen (which we knocked through) is load bearing, so that's quite a complicated detail to get right.
Spent time choosing a table that fits the space well though and decorated that area slightly differently to give it a different feel. Quite like the result.

superram Sun 28-Feb-16 23:19:07

We have a steel across a 5 metre space. Above it is the back wall of the house. We had to build a steel frame as engineer said too wide a span for just rsj alone. Had to dig down one metre and concrete the steel frame into the ground. I hope I'm wrong but don't think it is as simple as it looks-you need a structural engineer to do calculations.

HanYOLO Sun 28-Feb-16 23:23:36

How big would the opening be - looks massive - like a pp suggest and rsj may not be enough. So that would be more work and more impact of work, but probably worth it if you like that open plan thing. Upstair planing will only depend if there's pipework there surely? Which is probably unlikely?

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Mon 29-Feb-16 16:52:04

Like the last two posters have said, it is potentially more work than just a beam. Reason being that the walls provide the stability for your house, and if you take too much of them out, you need something else, hence the 'goalpost' of steelwork type arrangement.

Tweetinat Fri 04-Mar-16 13:08:09

What's that wallpaper Marmite - I really like it!

mummylovekids Fri 04-Mar-16 20:14:46

Thanks for all your replies. It's not a chimney breast but supporting wall. Our builder has finished the work now. He said that it would be doable in the future but we have electrics and plumbing that would need re routed, alongside plastering. Not sure if we have the cash for a few years yet. Any ideas about costing that lot?!?

mummylovekids Fri 04-Mar-16 20:20:39

Hello,

Do you have any photos of your finished result? Yes, expense would put us off any more work too.

Lelivre Fri 04-Mar-16 20:40:46

Are you certain you really want to do this? I mean to say is it a question of light or other things?

Both areas look spacious. We chose not to fully open up our space after seeing the neighbours house. Also we came from an open plan home and there are some drawbacks. Some say is a move away from the teens of the large open 'car showroom' kitchen diner to something a bit cosier. Broken plan I think it is called which you seem to have. Can the light be improved another way?

BikeGeek Fri 04-Mar-16 23:01:32

I tend to think that if the removal of this wall was straightforward and inexpensive its removal would have been suggested at the time you had the other work done.

Mamia15 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:17:34

Try looking at other ways of bringing in light e.g sky lights, windows, light tubes.

PigletJohn Sat 05-Mar-16 08:44:18

The pillar is curiously large. If it's not a chimneybreast or a cupboard, do you live in a stone house? What is above it?

I wonder why it was done like that. Are you in England or Wales, and were the plans approved by Building Control?

mummylovekids Sat 05-Mar-16 10:14:33

Lelivre, do you have any photos of your kitchen? There is an option of putting a window to the side of the kitchen wall, above the sink. This would give us some more light, but it's the north facing side of house and there's the neighbour's fence / our side lane of house.

Marmitelover55 Sat 05-Mar-16 11:09:57

Hello Tweetinat - it's this one:
www.romo.com/collections/prints-weaves/orvieto/pintura/topaz

Hennifer Sat 05-Mar-16 13:02:11

I'd avoid making it any more annoying by standing your trofast next to it. Just don't put anything next to it - maybe a large picture on this side, or a mirror?

Hennifer Sat 05-Mar-16 13:02:42

In fact a large almost-to the floor mirror would look really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now