Talk

Advanced search

Lacock, Steeple Ashton or Corsham?

(7 Posts)
blueandwhite73 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:33:15

Hi Just wondering if anyone knows these three villages well? I will have to drive to south Bath every day. Its probably the same drive from each of them but I quickly need to make a decision on where to live. I live overseas currently and have only a weekend to whizz around and find a place. Ive seen a house in each of these villages that would be fine but ideally i have to decide this weekend. Id like a lively village with a primary school. Anybody any advice for me please? Thanks

treesntrees Sun 28-Feb-16 21:41:28

only visited Laycock once and apart from tourists it felt very quiet. Also I think most of the buildings are listed, would that be a problem to you as it would be to me.

Wandastartup Sun 28-Feb-16 21:46:50

Lacock is the opposite of a lively village!
I would call Corsham a town really but it's nice & there is plenty going on. Don't know Steeple Ashton sorry. Other nice villages meeting your brief would be Box,Rode, Freshford, Winsley, Marshfield, Yatton Keynell, Bathford, Marksbury, Chew Magna for a start!

Sprig1 Sun 28-Feb-16 23:07:46

I like Steeple Ashton a lot. Not much happening there though. Has a nice pub and community store.

blueandwhite73 Mon 29-Feb-16 09:06:10

Thanks everyone for your responses. Very useful. I know there is only one shop in Lacock and Steeple Ashton so not lively in a town type way, but I was wondering if anyone lives there thats on MN and could tell me if there are many teenagers/older children that live there. As long as they are not retirement villages I think we would be okay!

Sunnyshores Mon 29-Feb-16 16:26:01

Lacock is a very small village and although beautiful is overrun with buses and tourists most of the time. I used to drive past the tiny school at pick up time and most parents seemed to have driven to collect their children - so maybe not many actually living in the village.

Corsham is lovely, it isnt as big as a town, but a large village with much more going on. The school is fantastic apparently (mine went to the Prep which was great). Then onto the outstanding 2 Seniors in Chippenham or many private in Bath. Decent sports centre with pool, ballet, scouts, tennis clubs etc.

Dont know Steeple Ashton.

Others in Bath travel to work maybe Box or Bradford-on-Avon.

Sprig1 Mon 29-Feb-16 19:32:42

Steeple Ashton has a relatively high proportion of weekend home owners so you will probably find there is much more going on at the weekend. I think most of the weekday population are older and from what I can gather from frequenting the pub at the weekend most of the kids are younger. I don't think I have ever seen a teenager in the village (although there must be some!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now