Talk

Advanced search

Only been a week but.....

(28 Posts)
Figgygal Sun 28-Feb-16 13:24:27

Our nice tidy 3 bed house has been on market for a week and a half 10 viewings no offers and am starting to get fed up/taking it personally!!

It's in a nice road in a desirable part of town in fact we probably the only 3 bedroom house for sale in a miles radius at the moment. It's got a conservatory lots of space downstairs, no garage but double driveway to rear, corner plot, it does have storage heaters so no central heating which may put people off.

Feedback mainly been that it's lovely but 3rd bedroom too small which Is why we are selling (1ds and 1 on the way). If is definitely small we've been here 10 years and were childless when we moved in part if me thinks we need a couple without kids but due to lack of 3bed availability we getting families who obviously want a 3 bed and can't afford the prices they now getting to. We on for £245k and could take £240k but any less would impact on our finances for next purchase and don't want to be too quick to take a hit considering only been on a week. We already have an offer accepted on a 4 bed in a nearby village but they won't remove from market until we are proceedable and I'm terrified we will lose it.

Considering the bedrooms are the size they are can't see what else can do I thought it would go immediately I really did!!

3point14159265359 Sun 28-Feb-16 13:27:40

Have you got floor plans on listing? So they can see its small 3rd room before they come? That always annoys me.

Is small bedroom dressed as bedroom now? If it's not, might be worth doing so people see it can fit bed/drawers etc.

specialsubject Sun 28-Feb-16 13:30:05

is it priced to allow for the lack of central heating? Yes, storage heaters work and keep you warm, but central heating is preferable so this knocks the value.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 28-Feb-16 13:37:33

I think the central heating is a big negative, not much you can do about it though

Figgygal Sun 28-Feb-16 13:37:53

Yup all sizes and floor plan in listing one lovely couple came looking for rooms for 2 6ft tall grown up sons which was very frustrating.

No one has made comment on the heating so far. Other 3 beds in this area which do have central heating, garages etc are all pushing towards £300k so unaffordable for a lot of people.

I would drop the price now if I thought it would make a difference have 1 more viewing tomorrow see what happens there. I kind of feel we have had everyone through who may have been interested so tomorrow's our last chance.

JT05 Sun 28-Feb-16 13:42:40

A week and a half is not a long time. Some of the viewers, at the beginning will be those who look at everything with no intention to buy. Their excuse might be the size of the third bedroom.

It is difficult to take the rejection of your home as anything but personally, I did. Fortunately DH sees it as a business transaction!

A plan is a must, through even with one people will still make a comment!

Have you made the third bedroom look as if is is useable as a bedroom? Or is in a study?

Greebosmum Sun 28-Feb-16 13:43:41

Always stunned by people wanting gas central heating.

We moved to a house with storage heaters 30 years ago. I really like them. Get on a good tarriff. As long as they are up to date ones they work really well and don't take up half a room like the old ones did. No annual servicing, no water running round the house in pipes that might leak. Fabulous things. Also, they are warm all the time. I really notice it when I stay in houses with central heating and have to get up in the night.

You need to sell the storage heaters with all the positives.

Otherwise, I can't help. Sorry.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 28-Feb-16 13:47:27

How small is the 3rd bed? Is it really a bedroom? Are you being completely objective?

For instance, do you have more downstairs space than a 2 bed?

I think buyers couldn't care less about what you need for your next purchase, they just want value so money. What are 2 and 3 beds actually selling for?

RandomMess Sun 28-Feb-16 13:52:14

Is there a way to reconfigure upstairs to make the 3rd bedroom bigger?

Figgygal Sun 28-Feb-16 13:54:55

Don't most 3 beds have 2 doubles and a single? It's 6'10 x 6'7 it has a full sized desk in it and a single bed and admittedly not much else the previous owners had a preteen daughter in there the ones before that raised a family here for 20 years it's definitely a bedroom grin even if a tiny one!!

Figgygal Sun 28-Feb-16 13:56:51

Because we have the conservatory it makes downstairs big and so upstairs is a disappointment. Ds currently in the 2nd room part of me tempted to put him and his cot bed in the 3rd room and move the furniture from 3rd into 2nd to make both look bigger

caitlinohara Sun 28-Feb-16 14:02:14

A week and a half is nothing! Try not to think about this other house. We were told not to even look at houses until we had an offer on ours, which turned out to be very good advice because it took several months to sell ours. If, as you say, there is not much else similar on the market at the moment you might find people change their minds though and are willing to compromise on the size of the bedrooms!

namechangedtoday15 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:08:24

I think 10 days is enough to gauge the reaction especially if you've had 10 viewings. It would suggest something is putting people off - as people are not even making cheeky offers.

Solo Sun 28-Feb-16 14:09:41

I would definitely do what you said about putting the smaller furniture into the box room.

RandomMess Sun 28-Feb-16 14:11:00

Yes I would rearrange as you've suggested.

Is over the stairs? We had a built in wardrobe using the box bit above the stairs in the 3rd bedroom which made a big difference it was a decent single bedroom.

IShouldBeSoLurky Sun 28-Feb-16 14:12:13

I'd be put off by the tiny third bedroom, the storage heaters and the conservatory, but they would rule out viewing it - if people are coming to look but not making offers there must be other issues.

Figgygal Sun 28-Feb-16 15:06:30

We also have integrated kitchen so double oven, dishwasher and washing machine staying.

We have planning for a two storey extension to rear with cloakroom downstairs but figured by time did that and heating and corrected garden after building on it could trade up for not much more. Wouldn't move for anything so if we lose the house we have an offer on would stay and extend by after 10 years ready to move on

wowfudge Sun 28-Feb-16 17:52:13

Do the particulars for your house mention the planning permission and do you have a picture of the proposed front elevation and proposed floorplan in with the photos?

ShreddieMonster Sun 28-Feb-16 18:28:52

I would def put ds into the 3rd bedroom and if possible keep the 2nd bedroom dressed as a bedroom too.... If you don 't have a double bed use the single you do have. I think with a small room people need to see that it is useable

namechangedtoday15 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:46:01

I think it's a bit of a double edged sword if you have planning but are moving without doing it. Think people will probably come to the same conclusion as you - that they wouldn't necessarily see a return on their investment. It would make people wonder why you're incurring all the expense of moving if you have planning. It also smacks a little of 'house isn't quite right as it is'. I'd perhaps mention it / have the plans available once people come for a viewing rather than add it to the marketing materials.

Savagebeauty Sun 28-Feb-16 18:51:24

I've had my house on market for 2 weeks....2 viewings, and 2 offers, neither of which I've accepted. I'm not in a hurry to move, no chain and as its high end, has a niche market.
No central heating would put me off. But it is early days. You may get an offer next week smile

caroldecker Sun 28-Feb-16 19:18:21

6'10 x 6'7 - a single bed is 3 x 6'3 - not really a bedroom

Ratatattat Sun 28-Feb-16 19:31:44

If you've got a single bed in the room I think squashing a desk in too will make it look even smaller. I'd lose the desk tbh in favour of a small bedside table.

suffolkpunch85 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:50:48

We had the same recently, 2 viewers came round and said they wanted 3 double beds despite the particulars clearly showing the 3rd was 9 x 8! Anyway, I'd do what others have suggested and put the children's furniture in the smallest room

Figgygal Sun 28-Feb-16 19:51:16

It was dh office when he worked from home and our spare for guests (only one obviously) it's always worked for us will see the outcome of tomorrow's viewing and then discuss with dh/ea.

Funnily enough when we bought the house previous owners had planning for a large extension to make it into a 5 bed semi which they decided not to go through with. I never thought of it as a minus but wasn't something we wanted to do particularly as it required teating down the conservatory and rebuilding it on the other side of the house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now