Talk

Advanced search

Shutters yellowing - any tips?

(2 Posts)
Ipanema01 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:16:22

We have slatted white shutters in our living room which have really turned creamy over the last 5 years we've had them - has anyone experienced the same and managed to use anything to make them whiter?
About to give them a good scrub but any tips gratefully received!

PigletJohn Sun 28-Feb-16 12:54:57

Assuming that you don't smoke or burn candles, it may be that they were painted using one of the early "low VOC" paints.

They tend to go yellow indoors, but not outside, because sunlight prevents them yellowing (and I'm told will bleach out yellowing that has already happened, though I haven't tried it). Indoor windowsills stay white.

I know that paints are usually given accelerated durability testing by exposing samples to the weather, so it might be that first formula didn't show this problem until after it came to market.

You could use a water-based paint, which will not be so glossy or durable, but is adequate for indoor use.

I don't think scrubbing would help, but I suppose you could turn them to the sun or put them outside in a sunny spell. This may not be very convenient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now