Talk

Advanced search

House improvements in Edinburgh

(2 Posts)
HappyDaze9 Fri 26-Feb-16 08:27:15

We are thinking of buying a house which needs a lot of work. New kitchen, bathroom, flooring and redecoration. I want to put in hardwood floors downstairs and a good quality bathroom and kitchen. The house is a normal size with three bedrooms . Including redecoration what would the approximate cost be and can anyone recommend good builders, kitchen suppliers, decorators etc? I have never done this sort of thing before. We did replace a bathroom in a previous house, but I think we paid too much. I am not sure if it's worth all the stress and hassle, particularly as we will have to rent it out for two years.

I wonder whether to wait until we move in, but in its current state I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to rent it! We aren't living in Edinburgh at the moment, so project managing would be a challenge.

Quoteunquote Fri 26-Feb-16 17:46:52

Nope,the figures are not stacking up, (yes I know I haven't seen them, but already your approach has cost you about a third to half more than it needs to) probably a lot more.

To put in fine/high end finishes in a property you are going to rent for a few years, is money you will of wasted, even if you got a couple of house proud nuns in, the edge will have gone, and your taste will have moved on.

You want to project manage, there are far cheaper ways of getting an education in construction management and it takes hundreds of projects to even start to become accomplished at the job, and believe me anyone who try to project manage themselves is paying for that, a good project manager will save you more than it cost to hire them.

So if it is the dream house or could be, buy it, make it good for now, and start the project when you are available to be on site at all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now