Advanced search

building control for removing small wall?

(8 Posts)
seven201 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:38:34

We're removing a small structural wall between our dining room and kitchen. A steel is going in but it's only about 2m wide. We've had a structural engineer round so we know it's the right size etc. The builder says not to bother with building control. I know you're meant to but in reality how many people do? He said he thought it would cost £400 for building control which is quite a lot. I think It would only be a problem if we sell our house one day and we get a particularly picky buyer/solicitor. What have other people done?

Quodlibet Thu 25-Feb-16 20:41:34

Yes you are supposed to, and yes it will come up in a sale. Your builder doesn't want to involve building control as it means everything has to be done to a particular standard and he will have to rectify things if not. But by trying to avoid it, he basically passes the problem on to you to solve down the road at your own expense (probably) when you sell.

DottyBee Thu 25-Feb-16 20:45:36

I would be a bit worried about what else your builder is skipping corners on, if that is his recommendation.

Wanting confirmation that this sort of work is covered by building regs is not picky, but sensible.

Could the lack of it also affect your insurance op?

seven201 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:57:20

Thanks both. My sister didn't bother with her 3 houses (not all owned at the same time!) and only had issues when selling once. Good point about insurance - I have no idea but possibly it would affect it. I think we should be sensible though and get it though. Thanks again.

DottyBee Thu 25-Feb-16 21:19:03

No worries. My understanding is that if it is a load bearing wall, building regs apply. If a stud wall then they don't apply.

I would suspect that if building regs not applied, any damage at time of work or after work would not be covered by insurance. It could cost you a lot more than a few hundred pounds.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 25-Feb-16 22:00:19

We did it once (3m load bearing wall between kitchen and scullery) without involving BC. This was a few years ago and we had very detailed calcs drawn up by a structural engineer, then did the work ourselves with no builders involved. The intention was to stay there forever but our circumstances changed and we sold a few years later. Our extremely wealthy and rather laid back cash buyers didn't bother with a survey of any kind and weren't in the least bit interested in lack of building regs. We sold in 2007, don't think we'd get away with it now though blush

Moreover, when we did major structural works at our last house we employed an independent building inspector and did everything by the rule book, had completion certs for all work and even then our buyers' lender was initially not satisfied with certain aspects!

BikeGeek Fri 26-Feb-16 12:14:02

The fee for removing up to two load bearing walls in this area is less than £200. Personally I'd be reluctant to trust a builder who advised so badly.

seven201 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:21:06

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now