Talk

Advanced search

What exactly does 'Project Managing a build' involve?

(9 Posts)
NotPennysBoat Wed 24-Feb-16 21:31:41

I'm preparing for planning my extension by watching a variety of property programmes On Demand. I've heard on many occasions how a clever homeowner has decided to project manage their own build to save money. This sounds like a great idea! Am I being naive?? What exactly is involved in project managing an extension (single storey), and could a super organised me manage it?

lalalonglegs Wed 24-Feb-16 21:46:08

Super organised is definitely a good start but it also means negotiating with trades, sourcing all the materials (and making that they arrive at the right time), sorting out disputes between the different contractors (honestly, it's like dealing with toddlers a lot of the time), keeping everything on budget. You need to know a bit about building so that you know that the tradespeople are (a) doing what you want them to do (b) not taking too long to do it. There's more to it which I'm too tired to think of but it's basically all the stressful bits of having builders in smile.

lalalonglegs Wed 24-Feb-16 21:47:26

In essence, you are taking on responsibility for the build and finding the tradespeople and materials to make it happen.

HappyGoLuckyGirl Wed 24-Feb-16 21:48:45

Well I'm a Project Manager and it's effectively administering a contract. Unless you aren't going to use one. Which I wouldn't recommend smile

PigletJohn Wed 24-Feb-16 22:05:58

So am I.

It means basically knowing what all the things are that have to be done, and what order they have to be done in, and making sure that there is someone willing, able and committed to do each of them, properly, at the right time, and that you have enough money to pay for what they should cost, plus enough for all the things that will go wrong. Plus knowing all the things that are likely to go wrong, and how you can prevent them. "Things that have to be done" might be complex jobs contracted out, like "design and build the roof" or they might be as small as "fit the letterbox"

After which all you have to do is cope with all the things that go wrong anyway, and verifying the things that have gone right.

The better you are at the first part, the easier the second part is.

PigletJohn Wed 24-Feb-16 22:33:16

Not for houses, by the way.

NewLife4Me Wed 24-Feb-16 22:40:08

Call your mates in the trade, tell them what you want, call in a couple of favours, stick the kettle on and have a chat. grin

BeBesideTheSea Wed 24-Feb-16 22:45:25

Well, if Grand Designs is anything to go by, getting pregnant half way through whilst living on site in a caravan and not ordering the windows on time grin

patterkiller Wed 24-Feb-16 22:48:30

I have project managed two extensions and three property renovations.

Everything takes longer than you think. Sometimes people surprise you with their efficiency. Ignore trades sucking their teeth, when they say it can't be done it mostly means it will be more difficult for them.

Actually it's just about being organized asking the right questions and chasing everything.

Buy wine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now