Talk

Advanced search

Induction hob in island - any experience?

(10 Posts)
GaryWilmotsWedding Wed 24-Feb-16 16:57:04

Just as the title really - considering installing a 1mx2m island and wondering if people would recommend having the hobs in there? There will be 3 stools along one the opposite side, and just wondering what it might be like for the people sitting there?

Thanks in advance!

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 24-Feb-16 17:06:05

If you place your hob so it's near the front edge of the worktop that should offer approx 400mm between the hob and the people behind it - that's not a bad distance - be sensible though - if you cook deep fried chips on the hob then don't allow people to sit there at that time.

MimsyPimsy Wed 24-Feb-16 17:16:38

We have a 1m wide peninsular, and chose an AEG induction hob that is long and thin - about 40 cm depth, I think, leaving about 500 cm, and that's fine. We cook oven chips. smile

bojorojo Wed 24-Feb-16 20:15:36

I think 1 m depth is far too small for the island to take the hob safely. A hob from the front of the work surface to the back edge of the hob is 600mm. 400mm on the other side is nothing if children are nearby sitting on the stools, especially if the stools are tucked under an overhang of the work surface! Boiling water could be very close. If you can sit on the stools and reach a pan, it is not safe. I think 600mm is better and in fact I have 850mm. What about putting sockets in it and using it as a work surface? No hob though - just not safe. Induction bobs are wonderful but it is still a cooking zone!

Artandco Wed 24-Feb-16 20:18:10

I would never put a job in island. Mean skids can knock pans off from both sides rather than being able to put them safely at the back

bojorojo Wed 24-Feb-16 21:12:39

They cannot if the island is very wide! Mine is 1450mm! You cannot reach the hob from the other side! Unless you are an octopus of course. My seating zone is well away from the hob.

MimsyPimsy Wed 24-Feb-16 21:19:47

Yes, we have teenagers, so haven't found any dangers. It also means I can sit and read, while overseeing their cooking.

Artandco Wed 24-Feb-16 21:43:51

Ours use the island to do homework at, pencils rolling away, fluttered paper near stove would be my issue. It is wide

wartynose Thu 25-Feb-16 06:04:11

I did in my last kitchen, with 2 ovens underneath.

It's more sociable looking out into the kitchen, as long as the island is big enough I don't think safety was a concern.

I didn't do it again though because I wanted a more powerful ducted extractor and actually prefer to keep the island as a clear space for racks of baking, a big vase of flowers and in reality piles of paper

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 25-Feb-16 08:23:08

This image is taken from the NKBA guidelines ( it's the American version - and has useful drawings ) the top one shows the distance suggested behind hob on an island ... The American guidelines are stricter than the British ones ! But that said - you know your own family - if they tend to lean in onto the worktop chatting to you when you cook - then perhaps re think a hob on an island . Or suggest they move or get splashed !
Hope that helps !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now