Is this fine or very dangerous? Cooker wiring.

(9 Posts)
SueGeneris Tue 23-Feb-16 12:48:31

Our old cooker went poof at the weekend and tripped the electrics. We assumed it could only be the cooker that caused the problem and bought a new one. DH wired it in (heavy duty cooker wire, has an isolation switch on the wall) but it still wouldn't work.

Then we opened the cupboard next to the cooker and discovered that the cooker wire does not go directly via the isolation switch but is wired into a 13A regular plug along with the wire for the gas hob ignition. Both are wired into one plug which is plugged into a double socket which is spurred off the cooker switch. It was the socket that had broken. We replaced that and have put it back as was and it all works.

But I'm not sure whether it's really ok. Or if it's dangerous. There have been a good few corners cut in this house (not by us) that we have had to rectify at quite a lot of cost (drains, roofing).

Anyone know if we should be calling an electrician out? It's been wired like that for the whole nearly 7 years we've lived here without causing a problem. But I don't really want to mess about with electricity.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Feb-16 15:25:23

I am guessing that you have an electric cooker. If so, it must not go into a plug and socket. It needs a dedicated radial circuit, probably with a 32A MCB.

specialsubject Tue 23-Feb-16 16:01:25

dodgy as!!

guessing you didn't get an electrical check done... it might be time to see what other corners have been cut.

Scotmum83 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:47:08

Get a full check done, we had issues with appliances tripping the fuse box got a full report done and ended up getting most of the house retired as it was so dodgy. Big mistake not getting it done before we bought, we're lucky there wasn't a fire.

SueGeneris Tue 23-Feb-16 20:42:21

Yes sorry should have said electric cooker. I didnt know you could get an electrical check before buying. Sounds like it might be a good idea. Thanks for the replies.

Redbindippers101 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:50:03

Electric cookers need to be on their own circuit. In your case this would be new circuit, so would have to be installed by a qualified electrician.

Redbindippers101 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:59:22

Sorry OP, I misread your post, it sounds like you have the proper circuit. The installation is still a bit unorthodox.

SueGeneris Wed 24-Feb-16 11:58:51

Yes I think it's on the proper circuit - just via a plug being shared by the ignition cable. Definitely unorthodox!

specialsubject Wed 24-Feb-16 11:59:51

well, that's one word for it..

please find an electrician and get the place checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now