Talk

Advanced search

Been a while since I sold/bought a house. How much does it cost?

(6 Posts)
Fidelia Mon 22-Feb-16 07:39:24

Ex and I are going to sell the house. It's been a long time since we bought it and I could do with some idea of selling and buying costs so that I can work out my budget for buying.

We need to have joint conveyancing to sell, but separate conveyancing to buy our new houses. Roughly how much do you think each type of conveyancing is likely to be?

And what is a competitive rate for estate agents?

Thanks!

wowfudge Mon 22-Feb-16 07:51:23

You need to shop around yourself really. Get three estate agents round to value and see what their fee % is. For conveyancing, you can get an idea of the cost for the sale, based on your valuation figures, then you will have an idea what you can spend on your new place and the fees there. Costs can rarely widely depending on whether it's a solicitor or conveyancing practice, but read reviews and don't just go for the cheapest.

You can get online quotes by keying in the main details.

gruffalocake2 Mon 22-Feb-16 08:13:19

We spent £800/900 on solicitors workfor buying our property (6 months ago) plus obviously stamp duty which is the main expense and some other small search fees.

LittleBearPad Mon 22-Feb-16 08:18:29

We spent £1,200 to sell, £1,800 to buy with solicitors. Estate agents fees were 1.25%.

wonkylegs Mon 22-Feb-16 08:21:26

It'll really depend on what area you are in and what price bracket your house / purchase is in.
The only reliable thing is to get some quotes & valuations and go from there.
When we sold we were in a very strong position to sell (sought after property in sought after area and not much else like it on the market) so we could negotiate hard on estate agents fees as they all knew it would be very easy to sell. Just sold a relatives house and we went for a higher cost EA mainly because they seemed to be able to handle what we needed with little fuss and were very professional and efficient in a harder market and they didn't over value the house to get our custom.
My brother has used an online agency and initially was full of praise for them but there have been problems with the sale (lease issues) and they have been hard work to deal with since then. I suspect they are fine in easy straight forward transactions but if there is a chance of problem you are better of with a good local agent with a reputation for chasing people up.

Kernowgal Mon 22-Feb-16 17:24:22

I've only bought but my solicitor's fees were approx £1300 including fees. Survey was a homebuyer's for £450 (included valuation survey).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now