Talk

Advanced search

Wiltshire

(11 Posts)
Frenchboat Sun 21-Feb-16 12:21:24

So we have outgrown our house in the Home Counties and now turning our thoughts to moving to a different county.

Wiltshire has grabbed our interest as it looks beautiful, has much nicer houses in our budget but can also access London(I think?)

We have never actually visited so plan to do so soon. We know nothing about the area where is best to start when considering good schools and nearby links to London?

Ideal would be a pretty village.

Also what is Wiltshire like to live in?

Thank you smile

wowfudge Sun 21-Feb-16 13:24:56

Start by looking at commuting times from various places, if that's a factor. We have friends in a sought after village in Wilts, but one of them has a horrendous commute to central London. It is a beautiful county. Don't forget the costs of commuting either.

Alwayshavepeckham Sun 21-Feb-16 15:22:07

Wiltshire is a big county, with some lovely areas & some not so nice ones.

Do you have a daily commute to central London? The cost of a season ticket & parking needs to be factored in.

Do you want city, town or rural living?

State or independent schools?

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 21-Feb-16 15:26:09

Well the commute from Chippenham is 1hour15mins but due to get shorter once all the work on the train lines is finished. And there are lots of pretty villages commutable from there plus good school - would you be going state or private?

However, I wouldn't want to commute daily to London from here. My DH works in London 3 days a week but stays up to reduce the commute.

Alwayshavepeckham Sun 21-Feb-16 15:36:52

Salisbury to Waterloo is about 1hr 30 mins, there are some lovely villages with a half hour drive. But 2 hours+ each way is a long haul if you had to do it daily.

My DH often stays over too.

Frenchboat Sun 21-Feb-16 15:37:56

Hi thanks everyone smile

Right now dh works from home so wouldn't commute but his industry is quite volatile so we wouldn't want to cut ourself from London incase there is another round of redundancies. So somewhere which there is still a staton reasonably close.

Which places have train stations?

Probably prefer state schools to keep outgoing a low but I'm not sure how expensive private schools are there? They are anything from 15-30k where we are now...confused

Which are the best good schools?

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sun 21-Feb-16 15:41:22

Google is your friend OP

Alwayshavepeckham Sun 21-Feb-16 15:44:42

There are some great state schools about.
Can we ask your requirements re the house? Budget, beds, how rural?

fussychica Sun 21-Feb-16 15:54:52

I love it here in Wiltshire but much of the county isn't commuter territory and has fairly poor transport links. You need to be close to the M4 if driving in or 1.20 from Chippenham to Paddington. Rail links in the south of the county are poor, though Salisbury to Waterloo is around 1hr 30 mins. Salisbury is the only part of the county with grammar schools though there are lots of high performing schools, both state and independent, throughout the county. Most of the county is not particularly ethnically diverse and some towns have an older than average population.

The presence of Salisbury Plain and the MOD means that there are fewer towns and villages in the east of the county which would otherwise make for ideal commuting.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Sun 21-Feb-16 15:56:14

Until December 2014 we lived in a village half an hour from Salisbury. We work from home but DS lived in London at the time and his GF often caught the train from Tisbury which was our nearest station - not sure of timings/frequency of trains though.

We were close to the Dorset border where property was a little less expensive than hotspots such as Marlborough. Some of our neighbours/friends had second homes there whilst their main home was in London.

We bought our house as a major unmortgageable project in 2011 and got it for a reasonably good price. By the time we sold prices had risen considerably but the market was still relatively slow moving. I think things have changed/prices risen in the time since we sold.

There were quite a few good independent schools nearby, but I can't help with fees as the independent DS went to was in Hampshire wink

Ebb Sun 21-Feb-16 16:04:51

Sherston is a lovely village. Local Secondary school in Malmesbury is Ofsted Outstanding. Has a great pub, busy village social scene, 15 mins or so to Junc 17 M4 and 25 mins to Chippenham train station. 30 mins or so to centre of Bristol, 40 mins to Bath. Lots of other nice villages around Malmesbury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now