Advanced search

Made an offer, freaking out...

(13 Posts)
Allbymyselfagain Sat 20-Feb-16 15:41:29

So after a long time looking I've made an offer. Houses round here sell in under 24 hours. The estate agent told me they would pass it on but they had a higher one on the table too. The lady I spoke to emphasised my good position (first time buyer, MIP done, want to move very fast, willing to buy furniture as buyer is moving overseas and doesn't want it) and suggested I make the offer I was mulling over. Then the man I spoke to said he would present all the offers and everyone would have a chance to increase.

I'm not too much below the asking price. Would my situation make a difference to the seller. I think I'm asking do I have a chance?

DayToDayShit Sat 20-Feb-16 15:49:00

I would say you have a very good chance. You are in a good position. You are prepared to buy some furniture, that will save them another job. Are you prepared to come up to the asking price if need be? It is always good to be able to move a little higher.

DayToDayShit Sat 20-Feb-16 15:50:26

To add to that, I always consider my buyers position over the actual price offered. Another person may well offer more than you but if they are in a chain, there is a higher chance of it all going tits up somewhere down the line.

Allbymyselfagain Sat 20-Feb-16 15:58:58

That's for replying. I can go up to asking price but that leaves me almost nothing left over. If I did that I wouldn't be able to offer extra for the furniture (which is OK by me I could kit the house out with the more important second hand stuff from family (bed, sofa, tv and my old rental stuff in storage) and then top up with charity shop buys as and when.

I also want a full structural survey (just because I won't be able to repair anything for a few years) and I'm happy to go with their recommended solicitor to get things moving faster. I feel more comfy now. Just have to wait until I hear on Monday....

Sunny777 Sat 20-Feb-16 17:51:18

You are in good position and that will matter for someone moving overseas.
Also using a solicitor suggested by agent is favoured by agents as they get 150-200£ commission from that.
So highlight that again.

Plus keep your MIP and proof of deposit ready to be sent over to the agent asap.

And tell them about the furniture bit and the fact that you could improve your offer a wee bit. As couple of grands up or down doesn't matter much if you really like house.

Good luck

Allbymyselfagain Mon 22-Feb-16 19:07:01

I haven't heard anything yet. Is it normal to take so long to hear who won?

wowfudge Tue 23-Feb-16 07:59:59

Ring them Tuesday lunchtime and ask if they have heard from the vendor yet.

DayToDayShit Tue 23-Feb-16 14:55:57

Any news OP?

scribblegirl Wed 24-Feb-16 14:34:38

Hi OP, have my fingers crossed for you - have you found out yet? We recently lost out in the same situation sad but the sellers hadn't even started looking yet so being a FTB with no chain didn't really do us much of a benefit! If they'd been looking to move fast then I reckon we might have pipped it.

Allbymyselfagain Thu 25-Feb-16 16:44:25

Didn't get it sad they had 6 offers of which two were over the asking price. EA said I could increase my offer if I wanted but I can't afford that and then added the seller is still prepared to sell her furniture to you. I laughed.....

It's been a week of drama, one came up yesterday that was next door to where I used to live so I know everything about it. Was away for work so got my mum to phone and offer a little bit over the asking price for removal from sale. Apparently the seller is expecting to get at least 10% and more like 15% over the asking price!!! It's a fucking joke right now

DayToDayShit Thu 25-Feb-16 19:33:29

Bloody cheek of the seller to still be interested in selling you the furniture! I am sorry you didn't get your house.

There could be a good reason and that something else perfect is around the corner. House buying is a total nightmare!

scribblegirl Fri 26-Feb-16 13:03:04

Oh Allbymyself, I feel your pain. We've just offered on our second property of the week - it's a total wreck but we could do it up - and the EA sounded so negative on the phone. He's got viewings this weekend and reckons he's going to try for higher, can't help but feel resigned that we'll be outbid again! I would be tempted to go higher but DP isn't keen, so it's non-negotiable.... I was awake all last night thinking about how we could make it work. I hate this house buying shit sad

Allbymyselfagain Fri 26-Feb-16 15:17:30

scribble it's crap isn't it. I'm totally fed up with driving an hour each way every weekend to look at houses. Especially with the lying photos and recently the god awful stink of damp and mouldy brickwork, unwashed bodies and dog that I seem to be encountering in every house I view... Seriously if you or I were selling a house we would at least open a window and run the Hoover round.

I would love a doer upper but there is just no way I could afford one, they are going over the asking price too. Good luck with your offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now