Walnut work tops

(7 Posts)
Owlcat Fri 19-Feb-16 22:44:20

We've recently moved into a new house with walnut work tops and would like some tips on caring for them! They are about 5 years old, so have some marks from the previous owners and I think that stuff put on them during our move has added scratches. We had laminate previously and always used pot stands to avoid burning them and dried off sink and surround after use due to living in a very hard water area, so am used to doing all of that. I am prepared to put work into looking after them but don't really know where to start - what is the best oil to use for example?

Owlcat Sat 20-Feb-16 08:16:36

Anyone..?

Thanks smile

SanityClause Sat 20-Feb-16 08:18:02

I have no idea, but they sound lovely!

cece Sat 20-Feb-16 08:23:39

I'm about to go out but will be back.

cece Sat 20-Feb-16 10:27:47

You can sand out really bad scratches but for smaller ones I don't bother. You can use Danish oil. I usually do mine about once every 6 months or so - or rather when I notice that the water isn't beading on the worktop. TBH I don't think mine has been done for about a year now.... blush I just pour some on and rub it in with a cloth. It takes an hour or two - maybe half a day - before you can use them again.

Otherwise I don't do an awful lot more. Other than the obvious wipe up water spills asap which you'd do for most worktops.

JT05 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:10:15

We have beech wood and it is oiled with food grade Danish oil every 6 moths. A dab of olive oil, in an emergency!

I have clear glass worktop savers either side of the hob and the same to the right of the sink. Dry off water as soon as possible and watch out for staining foods such as beetroot, chilli sauce and curry sauce!

7 years on they look as good as they day they were put in.

Owlcat Sat 20-Feb-16 18:50:23

Thanks, that's really helpful ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now