Talk

Advanced search

Tunble dryers (that aren't Hotpoint): PigletJohn V Which

(21 Posts)
Paperm0ver Fri 19-Feb-16 17:56:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FreeButtonBee Fri 19-Feb-16 18:25:53

I have a Bosch condenser and have no problems with it. Would defo recommend. You want it to be as easy to use as possible. I think having to drag out the hose every time would make it less useful. And more likely that the hose would get damaged/need repaired sooner which could add to costs

Naoko Fri 19-Feb-16 18:30:28

You could look at a heat pump dryer. They are like condensers in that they don't need a vent, but far more energy efficient (which softens the blow of the higher purchase price) and my parents, who have one, tell me it doesn't make the room damp like their old condenser used to either. I've just ordered one myself so I'll report back if it's any good when it arrives grin

Paperm0ver Fri 19-Feb-16 18:47:46

FreeButtonBee Fri 19-Feb-16 20:37:15

My condenser doesn't make the room damp in the slightest and its in an internal utility room with no window/venting at all. It does need regular emptying - partic after a full load of towels. But that is a 30s job so long as you have a sink handy.

whatevva Fri 19-Feb-16 20:50:59

I have a bosch tumble dryer that is about 15 years old. Disappointingly, it broke down just outside its guarantee period and was mended by the independent retailer that I bought it from - they still had their own repair men then hmm They were not sure that it was economically worth it, but I have got another 12 years out of it.

It replaced a vented creda one that was about 10 years old and had got fluff in the motor. We used this in the conservatory which we had had demolished so it was then being used in the study where there was a suitable window.

We went for a condensing one as they had become affordable and we did not have to make yet another hole in the wall (every time we do this, something changes and the hole is not in the right place). We decided it was more flexible as to where you can put it.

It is ok. It gets a bit steamy after a whole day's laundry on a rainy day, but so did the other one.

Paperm0ver Fri 19-Feb-16 20:59:51

JT05 Fri 19-Feb-16 21:07:56

I have always gone for White Knight ( Currys own) cheap as chips , vented, but have only ever had two in the last 20 odd years. Last one still going strong and about 10 yrs old.

donajimena Fri 19-Feb-16 21:10:13

I would second a white knight. I've one and its not put a foot wrong in 5 years

AveEldon Fri 19-Feb-16 21:12:47

We have a Bosch vented (thru the cat flap)
Overall very pleased with it

Previous one was a compact White Knight which the bearings went in (I overloaded it)
White Knight definitely good if on a budget - my mum's has been going for years

cymrukernow Fri 19-Feb-16 21:20:57

Bosch condenser dryer- ours is 5 years old and I've always found it good. Slightly annoying when water drawer gets full and it switches off ( and you don't notice until 10 mins to school time), but it's a good workhorse and dries quickly.

Naoko Fri 19-Feb-16 22:01:32

I got this one OP. Not a fancy brand, but well, for that money you can't argue with it really. The reviews seem ok too other than that it's slow. But I've got time! And it's still quicker than air drying...

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 19-Feb-16 23:27:23

Mine's AEG and really good but when it needed a repair, the repairman told me it was relatively expensive for the parts and he'd recommend Bosch.

InkleWinkle Fri 19-Feb-16 23:37:55

I've had a Beko condenser dryer under the stairs for about a year now & no damp so far.

MargotLovedTom Fri 19-Feb-16 23:45:18

My friend has a vented one and has a container that attaches to the hose to collect the water so there's no need to run the hose outside.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sat 20-Feb-16 07:56:11

I have a Beko sensor condenser tumble drier which I love. No timer, it turns itself off when it senses the clothes are dry. I also have a Beko dishwasher whereas in the past I have had Bosch. I am very happy with that too.

I second what Margot says, you can buy a box that the hose of a vented tumble drier goes into so no outside venting required. I don't know how good they are though as I have no personal experience of them.

Paperm0ver Sat 20-Feb-16 10:27:17

JT05 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:13:58

Just to add - although our white Knight is vented and in the garage we got a condenser gathering box kit from B&Q, about £20.

CaurnieBred Sat 20-Feb-16 11:40:01

Also look for ones that operate via a sensor rather than just a timer (our current Bosch vented one does this). It means you aren't over drying clothes as the machine itself can tell when to turn itself off.

MiaowTheCat Sat 20-Feb-16 11:57:36

Just got a Hoover washer/drier to replace our Hotpoint one that never bloody dried clothes even if you put one solitary sock in there for a month - and it's fantastic! Would have loved a Bosch since we had one of their dishwashers that went on for well over a decade but it was one of the points where we had to make compromises over budget.

I'd never get a Hotpoint/Indesit one again though - the last two we've had have been those makes and been shite.

Paperm0ver Sat 20-Feb-16 16:41:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now