Talk

Advanced search

Bit of a random question - gas fireplaces

(4 Posts)
ButtfaceMiscreant Fri 19-Feb-16 07:33:51

Our house has two gas fireplaces in working order, but we have never used them as such (3 young children plus decent central heating means we don't need to). They have coal in the grate, presumably for decoration (see photo - the other fireplace is cast iron and a lot prettier, but also could be recognised!) and it just gets dusty/cobwebby. Could I take it out and replace with something else for decorative purposes only? Or is that a fire risk of some description?

If it is possible, any ideas of what to replace it with?! I thought of the usual candles etc but am wondering if I have missed something! Thank you smile

wowfudge Fri 19-Feb-16 07:41:29

It's a living flame type gas fire. If you use it you do need the fake coals in place. Nothing to stop you taking them off and putting something else there.

ButtfaceMiscreant Fri 19-Feb-16 08:28:36

Ah great, thank you! Google didn't give me the answer (only told me where to buy replacement coals...) We would replace them with the appropriate fake coals when/if we came to use them/sell.

wowfudge Fri 19-Feb-16 19:55:38

Stick them in a bag and put it in the loft. Do not under any circumstances put real coal on there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now