What do we reckon about grey bathrooms?

(9 Posts)
Clockstooticky Fri 19-Feb-16 00:01:04

OH loves it and thinks grey is the way to go with decor in our new house bathroom. I feel feel like they look nice now but are maybe a bit bleak. Grey also feels like a very in fashion colour at the moment so I worry something like bathroom tiles which are a pain to change might go out of fashion and look crap in a few years.

I have seen a couple online with some grey but then wooden/wooden effect floors which looks a bit softer.

I really don't want plain white tiles again though!

So grey tiles/walls... Yay or nay?

Dostopmenow Fri 19-Feb-16 07:03:47

I went through this last year.

In the end I went; white suite, white bumpy tiles, marble worktop round the sinks, beige limestone floor then had T&G painted Pavilion Grey with the walls Strong White. Grey towels.

It's not overly grey but with a nod to the current trend and can be painted for a change very easily.

nooka Fri 19-Feb-16 07:15:06

Grey does feel like a massive trend at the moment and I find it hard to understand really. Its so dull! But then I like colour smile

Scarydinosaurs Fri 19-Feb-16 07:20:06

I found some tiles that weren't too grey, were very large, and kept it plain. White suite. Hopefully it will stay in date for a while. I'm wary of the fact it's a trend but couldn't find anything else I liked.

IShouldBeSoLurky Fri 19-Feb-16 08:26:03

I think grey is a classic neutral colour. Would never have beige in a bathroom. I guess it's about how you do it - I've seen a few bathrooms recently that are all large-format, quite matt dark grey tiles and that is quite battleship-like and depressing and will date.

redhat Fri 19-Feb-16 08:30:06

I think grey is here to stay for a while. Its been all over the interior design sites for a good few years but people in the real world don't decorate that frequently and so its a colour we'll have around for a good while.

There are so many different greys. The one we have in our guest bedroom is very warm - almost beige. In the kitchen where the light is different we have a much cooler lighter shade which then transitions to darker grey in the snug where we wanted it to feel cosy and warm.

MairzyDoats Fri 19-Feb-16 08:33:22

I love tongue and groove panelling, personally I'd have that around the bottom half of the bathroom, plaster above and natural stone tiles around the bath. That way you can paint the non tiled areas and refresh whenever you like.

OTheHugeManatee Fri 19-Feb-16 08:34:43

Grey can look cold so I like it softened with wood and warmer neutrals, or interesting textures such as natural stone or crackle finish tiles. If I were going for grey in a bathroom I'd probably make it the paint rather than tiles, then go for a white suite and some texture in tiles and flooring.

LBOCS2 Fri 19-Feb-16 08:54:50

We've gone with grey slate on the floor and a silver grey set of towels/bath mat. It's a nod to it whilst still staying neutral with a white suite and tiling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now