Advanced search

Want to add an extension - where do we start?

(5 Posts)
BetteDavis01 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:14:54

DH and I have decided we would like to extend our small semi. We want to add a double storey extension, neither of us have undertaken this sort of project before.

So....can someone explain to me step by step how to get started please?

First step, I assume, will be getting the plans drawn up, but by whom? Architect or draftsman? What should we do before we sit down with the professional?

Total novices here, so appreciate any advice / guidance. Thank u x

babyboyHarrison Thu 18-Feb-16 16:26:53

Ask around if anyone has an architect they would recommend, have any other houses in the area got similar extensions - if yes go knocking and have a chat with your neighbour.

I would recommend an architect as they will lead you through the process. You'd probably be better off with a small local practice as they will have lots of experience and be close by for site visits. This will likely be their bread and butter stuff, larger practiced may be more interested in larger projects.

You can look at the RIBA website think it had a find an architect section. Think there is also advice for clients on appointing one.

An architect would probably be the best for you as they are likely to come up with the best solution for the space and a draftsman is more likely to just draw up what you say. As you say you have no experience so may not end up with the best solution. The architect should also be able to help with cost estimates.

Hope that is some help on where to get started.

I'm not an architect but work in the industry (usually somewhat bigger projects so not an expert on small scale) if you have any questions happy to offer what advice I can.

Very exciting for you.

BetteDavis01 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:37:29

Thank you baby boy x

StillRunningWithScissors Thu 18-Feb-16 17:55:55

You can also have a look on your council's web site, in the planning section, to view what other people have done with similar properties. Good for ideas.

I agree getting an architect in for the actual plans/drawings. You can meet with a few to see if you get in, discuss their fees etc.

MrsJamin Thu 18-Feb-16 18:21:54

Yes you need an architect. Get details of their last few designs and they should have experience of doing a similar project before, as extending a semi is pretty standard. Make sure you repeat repeat and repeat your budget. Our architect was utterly crap and drew a house that we couldn't afford to build. Had to pay extra to a building surveyor to redraw a design that we could actually afford to build. One who pays no heed to your budget is no architect. I wish I could get ours struck off riba.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now