Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen cupboards going yellow

(7 Posts)
PersilOrAriel Wed 17-Feb-16 17:08:14

4 years ago I got my kitchen redone, with white high gloss units. In the last year or so the white has noticeably yellowed. In fact, we recently had our cloakroom redone and the new white cupboard door in there has shown how badly the kitchen white has deteriorated.

We're still in the kitchen guarantee period, so I took a photo of the two whites together for comparison purposes and sent it to the guarantee department. Two people in that department have told me that the kitchen should not have yellowed and that it was unusual to have done so, but I've now been officially emailed to say that this is entirely normal and to be expected, so nothing can be done.

We were at no point made aware that this would happen, if we had then we would have gone for a different finish, or chosen a different colour. The kitchen cost us £12k just for the cupboards, so am I being naive here or is this worth pursuing? Any opinions welcome.

Fourarmsv2 Wed 17-Feb-16 20:50:32

How big is the kitchen? For £12K I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong!

PersilOrAriel Wed 17-Feb-16 21:00:11

It's pretty big, the whole bill after appliances and work tops was more than double that. We have 25 doors, 2 sets of pan drawers and a bank of drawers. I just want to gauge if I'm being unreasonable at the unexpected (to me but apparently not to them) yellowing.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 18-Feb-16 08:10:33

White can sometimes yellow in an area with little natural light ... Did they mention this in their response? Or even ask what the difference was in the area with bright white doors verses the area where they have yellowed ?! If they won't change them for you - it might be an idea to swap the brighter doors with the yellowed ones so that in time they yellow too - so at least then it will all match ... Not an ideal solution I agree - but maybe a solution if the doors are compatible sizes ...

In my personal opinion, I think they should change them for you, if a possibility of colour change wasn't explained anywhere in writing when you purchased. But the problem is - what do they change them for, that won't have the same problem ?!

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 18-Feb-16 08:12:30

Sorry - Just realised the bright white door was one you brought in new from the other area - so are they all matching in the kitchen ?!

Roystonv Thu 18-Feb-16 08:24:40

Keep going with your complaint the difference is very noticeable

PersilOrAriel Thu 18-Feb-16 08:30:01

Thanks for the replies, yes they have yellowed uniformly in the kitchen.

I'm not expecting a kitchen to last 50 years without some kind of deterioration but I wouldn't expect it to look like this after 4 years. Definitely nothing in writing or verbally to warn us that this could have been expected.

Ideally I'd like to change them to a grey or taupe so they wouldn't age but to be honest I'd be happy to get them replaced like for like. At least then I would get about 8 years in total before it would need a redo. Not ideal, but I'm trying to be realistic.

I'm planning on responding by email with a stiffly worded response this weekend when I can sit down with DH and do it carefully rather than just firing off a badly worded rant in the heat of the moment. Any suggestions welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now