Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a dulux colour?

(35 Posts)
Ubik1 Tue 16-Feb-16 17:09:55

We have a large room, 17 ft ceilings, two huge sash Windows and fireplace.

We had a huge leak through ceiling and insurers have agreed to redecorate and replace floor.

i like mushroom/grey colours but worried it will be dingy.
Are there any colours you like?

HereIAm20 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:05:59

Skimming Stone by Farrow and Ball is a neutral that sometimes look taupe(mushroomish) and in other lights greyish. So it may be ideal. I have it in my living room.

Madbengalmum Tue 16-Feb-16 20:07:21

Dulux, Eygptian cotton.
Lovely colour.

Ubik1 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:24:24

Meant to say - it has to be dulux as its an insurance job.

Love F&B colours smile

Will check out Egyptian cotton

Spanielcrackers Tue 16-Feb-16 20:30:50

Misty mountain.

SmellTheGlove Tue 16-Feb-16 20:31:09

Dulux dusted moss 2. It has to be mixed. Beautiful grey.

tellmemore1982 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:36:21

Chalky Downs is a great colour, very versatile neutral, I use Number 5 a lot. It's great as it also tones well with other shades in the palette of course if you want to add more interest / features.

You can get Dulux to colour match another brand eg F&B but the biggest problem is that it will never look the same in the room. I have also used Skimming Stone, it's nice looks completely different from one wall or room to the next depending on the light and would therefore be an almost impossible effect to properly recreate. I have also seen Benjamin Moore paints colour matched by Dulux and its nothing like the real thing.

Chalky Downs 5 is a really safe choice, you won't be unhappy with it.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 16-Feb-16 21:10:23

We have dusted moss 3 in the kitchen. It's lovely.

We have dale white in the hall, which is a very light blue. The PILs liked it so much they painted their living room the same colour.

I just painted our bedroom Cornish clay.

Our living room is sky blue (which is really teal).

The heritage colours are really lovely. You can have them mixed up in a finish that's (I think) similar-ish to F&B or in any other dulux paint you like (we used the diamond matt for the scrubbability).

Lordamighty Tue 16-Feb-16 21:15:12

Perfectly taupe by Dulux is gorgeous. It is one of those colours that looks different in different lights.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:43:34

We have Egyptian Cotton. Really light, lovely.

My favourite at the moment is Pebble Shore - definitely a grey with beige tones but again looks different in different rooms (have used it in 3 rooms!)

We have Elephants Breath in the lounge which is darker, more of a true mushroom. That's F&B so you'd have to have it colour matched.

Owlcat Tue 16-Feb-16 21:45:06

We've had Dulux Egyptian Cotton in our sitting room in two houses now, we really like it (obviously!).

Ubik1 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:48:50

Am scribbling these down so I can get testers.

Thanks so much everyone smile

StandoutMop Tue 16-Feb-16 21:53:45

Dusted moss was a slightly pinky greige in our old bedroom. Although it looked greeny in some lights.

Pale walnut (I think, its from heritage range rather than the walnut in main range) is a browner greige. Wasn't too dark / dingy in our north facing room.

We used timeless for woodwork etc, not too white or too yellow.

Elledouble Tue 16-Feb-16 21:58:05

Don't know if this will help, but there is a Dulux Visualiser app where you can take a pic of the room and colour it in with the different paints. We've used it quite a lot.

Laquila Tue 16-Feb-16 21:58:58

Another vote for Egyptian Cotton - we have it in our hall, stairs and landing and it sometimes looks beige, sometimes coffeeish, sometimes grey. It's dried much paler than we expected, but in a good way. White Mist is a very pale greyish off-white - more interesting than white but still very light.

exLtEveDallas Tue 16-Feb-16 22:12:58

We had Egyptian cotton, but last week changed it for Soft Stone which is an almost pinky beige, like dried plaster. We have one corner (2 walls) painted in Intense Truffle which is like a wet plaster colour (DH has just replastered the walls, and that is where I got the ideas blush)

Our lounge is large, with very high ceilings and when we had the whole room one light colour it was just too much, but sectioning the room it looks more cosy I think.

Zampa Tue 16-Feb-16 22:17:13

I second Perfectly Taupe - it's very similar to F&B Elephant's Breath. A great modern neutral. Looks fabulous in our living room with pinks, golds and teal and also great in our dining room with bright yellow and white.

Ubik1 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:18:39

Yes IKWYM about light colours all over a big room. Insurance had specified a 'neutral' colour for all the walls.
I would love to add s darker wall later on.

I love teal as an accent colour but DP will probably have a fit

amysmummy12345 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:19:28

We have Egyptian cotton in our hall, love it!!

IHeartKingThistle Tue 16-Feb-16 22:20:21

I didn't like Egyptian Cotton but love Just Walnut.

Only1scoop Tue 16-Feb-16 22:26:17

Dulux Just walnut

Gorgeous

A very soft gorgeous white/ grey

Don't let the name put you off

Neffi Tue 16-Feb-16 22:29:55

Dusted moss 2. Perfectly neutral gray.

GinIsIn Tue 16-Feb-16 22:34:54

Dulux Polished Pebble is lovely. Even in our north facing rooms it looks calming rather than cold.

Sidge Tue 16-Feb-16 22:36:08

We've redecorated most of our house. Our lounge is Just Walnut, a pale mushroom colour, our bedroom is Polished Pebble which is grey-ish and the hall/stairs/landing is Jurassic Stone which is a lovely soft pale sage green.

dynevoran Tue 16-Feb-16 22:42:06

We have Egyptian cotton and it is lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now