Damp and mouldy house - best heating/ventilation routine?

(7 Posts)
CadenceRoastingByAnOpenFire Tue 16-Feb-16 12:07:51

Hi, wondering if anyone can advise me on this please? We have an old house and it's very cold and damp and mound grows in certain places. Our foundations are below the water table so when it rains it fills with water under the house, i think maybe that has a lot to do with the damp? However from what I've read i should hopefully be able to keep it at bay with correct heating and ventilation however I'm unsure when to heat/ventilate. Currently the heating is off all day until around 5pm-9pm. I open all the windows between 9am and 2pm. Does this sound about right? It is freezing in the morning but it seems counter productive and a waste of money to heat the house in the mornings only to let all the heat out the windows later on. However if I knew that doing this would help the damp problem then I wouldn't mind so much. Today I tried to do it the other way round and put the heating on as soon as we woke up until around 11am and also had the dehumidifier blowing (and karcher vacd all the windows as per usual). The house doesn't feel nearly as cold and damp now but when should i ventilate the house today? If I do it now I'll lose the heat! Or maybe I should do it in a couple of hours and then put the heating on for an hour or two after that?!

Any help much appreciated!

CMOTDibbler Tue 16-Feb-16 12:11:16

Its going to be better to keep it gently warm all the time, use the dehumidifier, vac the windows and do all the moisture reduction stuff (lids on pans in kitchen, extractor fan in kitchen and bathroom, close bathroom door after shower/bath with fan on, don't dry washing indoors) than to have a cold house which will feel much more damp

caroldecker Tue 16-Feb-16 12:55:27

Cold air holds less water vapour than hot, so the same amount of 'water' feels damper in the cold

HereIAm20 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:10:47

Consider having a proper ventilation unit put it. It basically removes the air in the property every 24 hours so therefore there isn't any moisture build up. We had terrible problems when a tenant of ours didn't ventilate properly. They came from a hot country and I don't think it occurred to them to open windows etc when it was cold to them outside. We have had no problems since but it was quite expensive (£3-4k)

PolterGoose Tue 16-Feb-16 20:18:26

Damp stone house here. I have the heating on whenever it's cold, windows upstairs are open all day, heat rises and takes the humidity with it. I usually have a window open in the kitchen all day too. We have decent extractors in the bathrooms and don't dry washing indoors. All windows have trickle vents.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 16-Feb-16 20:20:37

I have the same problem.

Proper big dehumidifer running 24/7, smaller dehumidifiers in windowsills, dry windows each morning and house is 18 degrees during the day/night, 19 degrees in the evening.

Still damp.

I keep telling Dh we need a positive ventilation system, I think you can buy them and fit yourself. Cost about 1k. Dh seems to think it won't help.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 16-Feb-16 20:25:22

This is what I'm thinking of, or something similar. Only £250

www.amazon.co.uk/Nuaire-Drimaster-Condensation-Ventilation-Loft/dp/B0074K582E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455654088&sr=8-2&keywords=positive+pressure+ventilation

Gets good reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now