Buying a new Bathroom suite

(13 Posts)
Redbean730 Mon 15-Feb-16 22:37:34

Hello all,

We are planning to move into a 3-bed house in Bexleyheath soon (excited!). The previous owners are have 1 shower room and 1 cloakroom toilet. We are thinking to replace the shower room to a new bathroom, we are shopping around online, e.g. B&Q, bathstore, victorian plumb, does anyone have any suggestion of where we can go to have a look? From their websites, all look very similar! Can anyone share their experience? Thank you!

gingerdad Tue 16-Feb-16 06:09:15

Victoria plumb are okay but cheaply made our plumber had to bodge the back of the toilet.

wowfudge Tue 16-Feb-16 07:07:26

Do a search on here of bathroom threads - there are plenty of them. Also read reviews, both of products and suppliers. Lots of info there.

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 08:08:04

We got some stuff the bath store, taps Victorian plumbing and rest amazon.

Redbean730 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:42:45

Yea, I'm thinking to shop from different shops but at the same time want to go for 0% interest, so may go for Victorian plumbing or plumb world

LizzieMacQueen Tue 16-Feb-16 12:59:45

Are you getting a plumber to do the work rather than doing it yourself.

They will have trade sources for the basics - I would let them get the materials as this will probably be cheapest too.

Look at Pinterest/Houzz etc for ideas and old threads here too.

BackforGood Tue 16-Feb-16 13:35:24

I let our plumber order ours - they can get a better price on better quality stuff.

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 13:46:00

We got ours cheaper than plumber could-he was quite open about that. Took a lot of time though and I was quite particular about what I did and didn't want.

Babelange Tue 16-Feb-16 13:47:55

We went to the wholesaler Elec-mec (North London/Stanmore) with our builder who advised us on what sort of things to look out for with our measurements (they have a showroom) - he changed the orientation of the bath too - and then it was up to us to decide what kind of radiators/taps etc. The wholesaler then makes sure you have everything you need (the boring bits). Your plumber/builder may get a trade discount. We paid for everything (£7000 but that included 2 bathrooms and 1 cloakroom and all tiling minus labour) and moved it onto a 0% card. Buying online can be a faff - our builder complained about another client who did this and nothing fitted or was straightforward.

Redbean730 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:11:53

We are planning to buy the materials by ourselves and ask a plumber to install them. So we can have freedom to choose what we like within out budgets. Anymore go for brands rather than the shops?

PixieGio Tue 16-Feb-16 23:06:11

We bought out bath basin and toilet from the Edwardian range at bathstore. Look at Burlington for lovely period accessories including mirrors and lighting. Victorian plumbing has great prices. Saw a radiator there for £100 less than bathstore and bathstore refunded me the amount so I wouldn't cancel.

Redbean730 Wed 17-Feb-16 22:07:22

Does anyone from the basin unit from ikea?

gruffalocake2 Wed 17-Feb-16 22:25:44

I've gone for a carron bath, ideal standard toilet and a vanity from soakology (they were great). I think all those brands are good. Go for a branded toilet as otherwise if the flush goes etc you my find buying parts is more difficult ( I am told). George, hansgrohe and Bristan are recommended tap brands.
The Hemnes stuff from ikea is good quality, I have the mirror unit. The others felt less good quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now